Hooks

Is there any other species?
11kalnmitc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Hooks

Post by 11kalnmitc » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:05 pm

So a lot of people change their hooks on their crankbaits and say that they are crap stock hooks. I've personally never changed my hooks and personally don't think it's a problem. So my question is do you change your hooks because you've heard you should or personal experience, and if it's personal experience, do you have any stats as far as increase hookups, or rate of loss fish?

Thanks

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Hooks

Post by fishballer06 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:25 pm

If the hooks don't feel sharp and tacky, I'll replace them. If they're a lighter hook and they bend out on the first time or two I use them, I'll replace them. Or on some lures, I feel that the stock hooks are too big, or too small, I'll replace them.

Cagey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cagey » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:00 am

If I have a bending problem I will replace them. And I almost always seek out a heavier stronger hook to replace it with too. But sometimes this extra weight in additional metal can change the way the lure operates.

If you add too much weight it could turn a suspending lure into a sinking lure.

I have been known to also experiment with hook weights to see if I can improve a lure's movements by using a heavy hook on the back or front and stock hook in the other position. Sometimes by making the tail heavier I can get more side to side movement from the lure. So experiment with it.

I don't replace hooks if they get dull. I carry in all of my tackle boxes a hook sharpening stone and can sharpen them up in a few seconds so no need to replace if dull.

One thing you have to be very concerned about when switching up hooks on lures is to be very careful to maintain shaft or shank length.

I made the mistake once of putting longer shank hooks on a rapala minnow lure and the front and back treble hooks could now tangle up with each other and fouled about 50% of my casts. So even if you go to a heavier stronger hook, make sure the length remains the same as stock or you could run into trouble like I did.

Another issue a lot of people simply do not consider is treble hook polarity when installing them.

I have silently watched other fishermen put hooks on their lures willy nilly without a care in the world for polarity.

So when you install the treble hooks, do you install with one hook forward and two back, or two hooks forward and one backwards?

Believe it or not, a change in treble hook polarity can change the motion of the lure for better or worse, so experiment.

I usually install them with one hook forward and two backwards because as I pull the lure through the water, the hooks are pushed backwards and with two hooks facing the rear as they are pushed backwards there is a "V" between the two rear hooks that can allow the body of the lure to fit nicely and balanced between those two rear hooks.

If you install them with one hook to the rear, when you pull the lure through the water and the hooks are pushed backwards, now you have one hook in the middle being pushed back and up into the body of the lure right in the center of the lure and when the hook touches the lure body, it can only go sideways at that point throwing the lure off balance. At least that is my theory anyways.

Another reason I do two hooks back and one forward is because when a fish hits the lure they usually try and take it down deeper in the water. And so if I am pulling a lure through the water and two hooks are on the upside of my lure, one on each side, I think I get a better percentage of hookups but I am really not sure since I rarely use lures with hooks on them in the opposite polarity.

Try it at home. Hold the lure in your hand and pull the hooks backwards. Does one hook hit the lure body in the center, or do two hooks rise up alongside the lure body?

So to give the hooks freedom of movement without interfering with the lure, one forward & two back is in my opinion the best way to install the treble hooks.

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:58 am

Good point. I have started turning my back hooks so that one hook points directly to the back of the lure, so that a soft bite from behind could hook up for me.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:54 pm

Cagey wrote:If I have a bending problem I will replace them. And I almost always seek out a heavier stronger hook to replace it with too. But sometimes this extra weight in additional metal can change the way the lure operates.

If you add too much weight it could turn a suspending lure into a sinking lure.

I have been known to also experiment with hook weights to see if I can improve a lure's movements by using a heavy hook on the back or front and stock hook in the other position. Sometimes by making the tail heavier I can get more side to side movement from the lure. So experiment with it.

I don't replace hooks if they get dull. I carry in all of my tackle boxes a hook sharpening stone and can sharpen them up in a few seconds so no need to replace if dull.

One thing you have to be very concerned about when switching up hooks on lures is to be very careful to maintain shaft or shank length.

I made the mistake once of putting longer shank hooks on a rapala minnow lure and the front and back treble hooks could now tangle up with each other and fouled about 50% of my casts. So even if you go to a heavier stronger hook, make sure the length remains the same as stock or you could run into trouble like I did.

Another issue a lot of people simply do not consider is treble hook polarity when installing them.

I have silently watched other fishermen put hooks on their lures willy nilly without a care in the world for polarity.

So when you install the treble hooks, do you install with one hook forward and two back, or two hooks forward and one backwards?

Believe it or not, a change in treble hook polarity can change the motion of the lure for better or worse, so experiment.

I usually install them with one hook forward and two backwards because as I pull the lure through the water, the hooks are pushed backwards and with two hooks facing the rear as they are pushed backwards there is a "V" between the two rear hooks that can allow the body of the lure to fit nicely and balanced between those two rear hooks.

If you install them with one hook to the rear, when you pull the lure through the water and the hooks are pushed backwards, now you have one hook in the middle being pushed back and up into the body of the lure right in the center of the lure and when the hook touches the lure body, it can only go sideways at that point throwing the lure off balance. At least that is my theory anyways.

Another reason I do two hooks back and one forward is because when a fish hits the lure they usually try and take it down deeper in the water. And so if I am pulling a lure through the water and two hooks are on the upside of my lure, one on each side, I think I get a better percentage of hookups but I am really not sure since I rarely use lures with hooks on them in the opposite polarity.

Try it at home. Hold the lure in your hand and pull the hooks backwards. Does one hook hit the lure body in the center, or do two hooks rise up alongside the lure body?

So to give the hooks freedom of movement without interfering with the lure, one forward & two back is in my opinion the best way to install the treble hooks.
I remember KVD mentioning that he always checks the orientation of his trebles when he changes them out. Have never done so myself but what you say makes sense. Think I will check my cranks when I get a chance. :D

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:57 pm

To the OP. I believe in KVD triple grips. Over the years I have had a far better hook up to landing ratio using triple grips. So I change all my crank hooks to these irrespective of the quality of the OEM hooks.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:44 am

There are sharp hooks and then there are scary sharp hooks - big difference. You can drive a sharp hook home with a good hookset on a bottom contact presentation where you feel taps and pickups.

Scary sharp hooks shine on moving bait presentations like cranks and such. Often they will take a tentative bump or swipe at it without really wanting to commit to it - that's where the really sharp hooks become the difference between pictures and stories 8-)

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:12 pm

When I started switching out crank hooks to Triple Grips, I couldn't believe the number of fish I was getting to the boat with hookups outside of the mouth, like the top of the head.
Interesting to see the number of guys references bend outs. Happens to me from time to time, but was called out by another member here about the impossibility of the proposition in bass fishing...guess I'll just carry on :lol:

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:46 am

I change out all hooks regardless of how good the stock hooks are such as with Lucky Crafts. Want the best chance of a good hookup no matter what. I use Owners and Gamakatsu for the most part. Anyone that uses the KVD Triple Grip SS owes it to themselves to try the Gamakatsu EWG SS 2x. Never was impressed with the sharpness of the Mustads. The Gama hooks are super sharp in comparison and hold the point way longer.

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:59 am

Whatever hooks come on the Flap Slap's !!! I think they are owners. Awesome hooks

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:57 pm

When I fish for money, I use Owner ST 41 hooks on my own handmade crankbaits. I truely believe that the curved point results in a clean penetration with no ripping of the roof of the mouth. I have seen too many straight pointed hooks just rip a gash in the fish. Plus they are a pretty stout hook and have a good barb. To me Gamakatsu just has too small of a barb.

Crankbaitmaker

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:20 pm

I pretty much only change the hooks out on Heddon and Arbogast lures. Changing the hook on the Buzzplug to a Gamakatsu hook changed my life.

keng8554
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by keng8554 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:41 am

When I hook into what could be the fish of the day, season or lifetime I would prefer to have the biggest "bite" into that fish's flesh. So I swap my hooks to allow for the biggest bite that doesn't cause the hooks to tangle or change the lure's action negatively.

The most finicky bait I've found is the LC pointer 100. Anything heavier than stock will make it a slow sink bait.

wingzero9969
Angler
Angler

Post by wingzero9969 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:09 pm

I have always used stock hooks. Most baits come with decent hooks these days. It tends to get rather expensive if you factor in a 20 dollar bait than 6 dollars for different hooks. Especially if you own as many cranks as I do.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:49 pm

I change hooks on all baits except Spro or Jackall. I've just got way more confidence in the aftermarket hooks (and rings). I agree with keng8554, I want the absolute best chance to land that "fish of a lifetime" and I feel this will aid in that. I really became a believer in this a few years ago when the KVD trebles first hit the shelves, after changing my squarebill hooks to these my bite to land ratio went up dramatically.