hook set on senko

Is there any other species?
masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

hook set on senko

Post by masterbass » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:19 am

Do you guys set as soon as you feel anything or do you wait ?

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: hook set on senko

Post by fishballer06 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:53 am

Whenever I feel a bite, I usually give it a 3, 2, 1, set count down. It gives the fish a second to really get the bait in their mouth.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:55 pm

Does anyone notice a difference between lmb and smb senko bites? With lmb I usually pause then set, but in the river when I'm going for smb lately they tap and don't hang on to it. I think I have set immediately. Anyone else think there is a difference?

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:27 pm

I have only fished for SMB with senko's and I notice that I need to wait until they're done tapping/nibbling at it before I can set the hook. Sometimes it's just one or two taps, other times it can be as many as five.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:48 pm

If its a hard thump, then I give it one second. If it is small taps, I wait for about 2-3 seconds until I can feel thumps or see the line swim off a few feet.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:41 am

The reason I ask is because I was watching the documentary "bigmouth forever" and it was really education to see how largemouth just suck the lure in and even more interesting was how fast they spit it out too without the angler even knowing. I've never seen a smallmouth feed, but I'd imagine it would be similar. If they just suck it in, don't you think setting the hook as soon as you feel a tap should up the landing percentage?

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:17 am

I set as soon as I notice something, be it a tap, line movement, etc. I find if I wait on the hookset I usually end up with a gullet hooked fish.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:58 am

The second I´m able to notice anything different I set the hook. If I feel a bump, a tap, mushy, lack of "presence", different fall rate, anything odd I set the hook, hooksets are for free.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:50 am

Teal101 wrote:I set as soon as I notice something, be it a tap, line movement, etc. I find if I wait on the hookset I usually end up with a gullet hooked fish.
He is correct don't give the bass time to swallow the senko or you just may kill the fish
just wait 1 second reel down set the hook in a sweeping motion and step back if you can.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:00 pm

Pegasus wrote:
Teal101 wrote:I set as soon as I notice something, be it a tap, line movement, etc. I find if I wait on the hookset I usually end up with a gullet hooked fish.
He is correct don't give the bass time to swallow the senko or you just may kill the fish
just wait 1 second reel down set the hook in a sweeping motion and step back if you can.
Does the size of the Senko affect the gullet hook ratio?

DaveJ

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:27 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
Does the size of the Senko affect the gullet hook ratio?

DaveJ
I fish the 4" and 5" and do not think so. I have noticed though that T-rigged Senkos tend to get gullet hooked more than wacky rigged. I think it has to do with the large round short shank bend in the wacky style hooks. To be honest I have yet to have a gullet hooked fish on a wacky rig, but I fish heavy cover weightless t-rigged 90% of the time. March-July I didnt fish much else but a Senko this year. Very productive.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:41 am

One thing a like about senkos is that they're very forgiving on the rod set compared to other plastics same with flukes.

Giqqo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Giqqo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:00 am

I usually give it a countdown and lean back into the hookset to make sure the bass has it fully in the mouth

Nrowden27
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Nrowden27 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:20 am

Got to give them the ol 1, 2 then set the hook. Got to have it in their mouth before you bury a hook in their mouth.

CaptPeteJ
Angler
Angler

Post by CaptPeteJ » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:40 pm

I don't think theres a set rule here, I've waited the ol 1-2, and they spit it before I could hook them, and I've not waited and pull it right out. Usually if I miss on a quick hook set, I'll wait on the next one or vice versa, I find it depends on the mood the fish are in.