How to walk a frog and what frog walks the best?

Is there any other species?
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

How to walk a frog and what frog walks the best?

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:11 am

I actually do pretty well with a frog and have a pretty decent hook up ratio. I twitch the rod tip like I would work a spook but it just makes the frog bounce forward with no side to side action. Is there a trick to walking a frog? Which frogs walk the best? Right now I am using a Spro 65, or a Bully Wa, or a Mad Max with a Destruction and 50lb FX2.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: How to walk a frog and what frog walks the best?

Post by steve1206 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:26 am

Not a frog expert here, based on where I fish...however I like the way the Spro Poppin Frog walks..imagine trying to send momentum through a slack line with twitches. Never actually move the frog with the rod...that's how I do it anyway. Trimming both legs helps a bit as well.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:29 am

Not necessarily a frog per se, but the SPRO shad walks better than anything while maintaining the form and function of a frog.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:32 pm

I have the same problem but with frogs I have a hard time walking I found a snap makes it much easier to get the side to side action.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:41 am

Snap the rod back and forth and maintain slack. If the frog is just popping forward you do not have enough slack in the line in my experience. The spook walks easier with less slack. It took me a few days of constant practice to get my reeling rhythm, rod rhythm, and proper slack right. I can almost walk the Koppers in place now.

Easiest walking for me has been the Koppers frogs. Spro aint bad either.

Setup is Megabass Orochi XX Perfect Pitch, TD-Ito 103HL 7:1 conversion, 60lb Sunline FX2.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:50 am

Teal101 wrote:Snap the rod back and forth and maintain slack. If the frog is just popping forward you do not have enough slack in the line in my experience. The spook walks easier with less slack. It took me a few days of constant practice to get my reeling rhythm, rod rhythm, and proper slack right. I can almost walk the Koppers in place now.

Easiest walking for me has been the Koppers frogs. Spro aint bad either.

Setup is Megabass Orochi XX Perfect Pitch, TD-Ito 103HL 7:1 conversion, 60lb Sunline FX2.
X2- Koppers walks the best out of any I have tried plus the hookup ratio is one of the best. One thing I noticed was I had to use very short, fast/hard twitches to get it to walk compared to a spook. Once you get the hang of it it's easy to almost walk in place. Just need to spend some time practicing. Good luck.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:28 am

I was watching the new Evergreen video on their youtube channel, and something that the evergreen staff did made a lot of sense for me. He cut one of the back legs on the frog a lot shorter than the other. Doing this allows for the longer leg to be a pivot point for the frog and it will turn a lot more abruptly when pulled through the water.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:21 am

As a few other guys have already pointed out, the appropriate amount of slack is critical to walking the frog. Finding this "magical" amount of slack is in my opinion the toughest part of learning the technique. Also you aren't trying to move the lure forward when you snap your rod, you're just trying to manipulate the slack in the braid.

The easiest walking frog I've found is the R2S Spittin' Wa 70. The Spro Bronzeye Shad as suggested by someone else already is also an easy to walk bait that is very good.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:51 am

Sounds like I found my problem. I thought it was just like walking a spook. Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I need some more practice.

Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mang » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:50 am

in my experience popping frogs are easier to walk

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:43 am

Jackall Iobee frog has been the best for me but the legs tangle up so much. You can walk it right out of the bow without and mods. The Kanji Frog is pretty good too but takes on a lot of water.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:27 am

Deps Slither K is the easiest walking frog Ive used and have seen
I always tie a Loop knot IE like using an oval split ring to give the bait more action..
Then slack in the line and walk,walk, walk..

Cisco
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cisco » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:15 pm

I love the Ish popping phattie. It walks great and doesn't take in any water even after all day fishing!

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:37 am

The Spro Bronze Eye frogs seem to walk fairly well. However, I get better hookups with the Booyah pad crasher.

Giqqo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Giqqo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:02 am

Sometimes it helps if you trim the legs at different lengths. The walking becomes alot smoother and effortless