Spoon questions

Is there any other species?
Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Spoon questions

Post by Afrayedknot » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:10 am

I am going to try and learn spoons in the next few weeks so I will have more questions as the says go by probably, but for now I have just a few simple questions.

- do I need to use a swivel? Barrel swivel with a leader? Snap swivel snapped onto spoon itself?

- how big of a spoon should I go with if most of the bass are 1-2.5 lbs? Main forage is shad that look to average about 4" long but sometes much bigger..

- spoon with a swinging hook or spoon with a welded on hook? (Does one tend to yield better hook up ratios?)

Thanks

bradjames12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Spoon questions

Post by bradjames12 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:13 pm

I have never used a swivel, just a personal preference. I know plenty of people prefer a swivel of some sort.

I mainly use SK/LF spoons, the 5.5 inch version and have caught all sizes of bass... and channel cats :lol:

I have never switched out from the factory hooks, so I won't be much help on the last question.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:27 pm

bradjames12 wrote:
I have never switched out from the factory hooks, so I won't be much help on the last question.
I think you misunderstood the question. Some spoons come with a hook that is fixed onto the soon and some are made with a swinging hook that is not actually welded onto the spoon, just attached by some sort of ring. Does one tend to yield better hook ups in your experience? :)

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:58 am

There are thousands of different kinds of spoons that fit into many different categories. Some spoon categories are very different, like a Silver Minnow style versus a Hopkins style. So, you probably need to be more specific with your questions.

bradjames12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bradjames12 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:40 am

Afrayedknot wrote:
bradjames12 wrote:
I think you misunderstood the question. Some spoons come with a hook that is fixed onto the soon and some are made with a swinging hook that is not actually welded onto the spoon, just attached by some sort of ring. Does one tend to yield better hook ups in your experience? :)
The SK/LF spoons I use have a split ring with the treble attached to split ring and are the only style of spoon I have used.

socal cranker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by socal cranker » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:52 am

I will and a split ring to the old versions where it was not standard. More fish stay buttoned for me.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:42 am

Some spoons have split rings, some don't. Most of the time, I will use a snap, sometimes I don't.

Well I figure there's two basic methods of spooning. One is a casting spoon. The other is a jigging spoon.

Casting spoon, you do not need a swivel. After all what you're after is a steady wobble on the spoon. You don't want the spoon to spin. No swivel and spinning spoon will soon be a disaster for line twist. A swivel tends to allow the spoon to spin too.

Now if you be jigging the spoon. A swivel is a good idea, well I just like it that way. I think the spoon wobble a bit better on the fall with the swivel, just hopping the spoon along.

I try to stay away of single welded on hooks. If it's weedy, these single welded hooks are better avoiding snagging up vegetation. Often time, they have a week guard. Sometimes the fish are just cover related, so this would be the preference.