spoons for bass

Is there any other species?
87tpita
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

spoons for bass

Post by 87tpita » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:49 am

Decided to try something new today..... new to me anyway. .. normally I'm flipping jigs, running crankbaits. ..throwing wacky worms.... or twitching a drop shot..... I was talking to my neighbor about techniques and for everything I said, he said spoons....... run deep divers across ledges-run spoons across ledges....what about chatter bait- what about spoons...... I like gold blades on spinnerbait- I like gold spoons....I pop jigs on deep structure- I pop spoons on deep structure. .. you get the idea lol. anyway . ..after watching a few YouTube videos last night to try and learn a few spoon techniques ..I'm now a huge fan of using spoons for bass (any predatory fish really) ..... a fluttering spoon was the only thing that produced today. ... and it produced well.. if there's anyone out there who hasn't tried jiging a spoon... when things are tough give it a try...

bradjames12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: spoons for bass

Post by bradjames12 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:06 am

Started throwing SK/LF 5.5 inch spoons about a year and half ago. One of my favorite techniques.
Love the bite that happens when you sweep up and set the hook on the sweep \:D/

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:09 am

I would use Dardevle Imps in the red/white pattern for early season bass.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:18 am

Do you have to use a swivel with a spool? I have always been intrigued by spoons but never gave it the time of day as I fear they eould twist up the line badly.

bradjames12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bradjames12 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:51 am

Afrayedknot wrote:Do you have to use a swivel with a spool? I have always been intrigued by spoons but never gave it the time of day as I fear they eould twist up the line badly.
I know a lot of people do use a swivel. I never have personally and haven't noticed an increase in line twist.

87tpita
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 87tpita » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:46 pm

For me it to swivel or not depends...... the swivel seems to tighten up the spoons action.... a snap without a split ring works well on casting spoons and makes change outs quick. ... flutter spoons I like a split ring and tied direct

RipN-Lips
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RipN-Lips » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:29 am

Just recently got a few spoons to try, can't wait to give em a shot!!

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:47 am

Hopkins spoons are may favorite but they all seem to work. I don't use a swivel and get line twist on occasion…especially in current. Sometimes I like to take a dressed treble hook and slide it on the line then tie my spoon on…saw that on some video years ago…works good. Spoons can catch everything, kinda like an inline spinner!

87tpita
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 87tpita » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:33 am

vinnieb729 wrote:Hopkins spoons are may favorite but they all seem to work. I don't use a swivel and get line twist on occasion…especially in current. Sometimes I like to take a dressed treble hook and slide it on the line then tie my spoon on…saw that on some video years ago…works good. Spoons can catch everything, kinda like an inline spinner!

so the treble is free floating on the line. before the spoon?

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:31 am

87tpita wrote:
vinnieb729 wrote:Hopkins spoons are may favorite but they all seem to work. I don't use a swivel and get line twist on occasion…especially in current. Sometimes I like to take a dressed treble hook and slide it on the line then tie my spoon on…saw that on some video years ago…works good. Spoons can catch everything, kinda like an inline spinner!

so the treble is free floating on the line. before the spoon?
Correct, when you jig the spoon it kinda looks like the spoon is darting at the dressed treble. I'd say it's evenly split on what hook I've caught the fish on. This is a killer rig for white bass and I use it ice fishing too (with smaller baits).

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:40 am

When I first started bass fishing, success was a must as my catch represented FOOD.

I caught more bass on a slow-rolled K.O. Wobbler in "rusted out brass" than any other lure in my (limited) tackle box.

I still slow-roll spoons: http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... al#p279262

If I fished from a boat, I would be jigging spoons as well...year round (so long as the water is open).