Hollow frogs - double or single hooks?

Is there any other species?
AndZ
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Hollow frogs - double or single hooks?

Post by AndZ » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:31 pm

Hey guys, I need an advice on frogs. So far I have only used hollow body frogs with double hooks - from a brand available locally... While I had quite a number of baits, I lost too many fish - like 5 during last Saturday, during a fishing tournament, and that costed me a lot, cause I didn't make the limit. I use them for pike fishing on heavy mats and last Sunday I caught my tournament biggest one, 97 cm, on frog.

The frogs I use come with double hooks... I wonder if single hook models would increase the hooking ratio. I also added a trailer hook but it didn't improve my hooking ratio. I can set the hook really hard, I rarely lose fish... maybe it's because the pikes I was targeting have really huge and bony mouths? The 97 cm one was hooked good, but not in the trailer hook... I gave it a small delay after hitting the lure. Or is the body softness crucial when a fish strikes and you set the hook?

Now I'm looking for different rigging and trailer hooks, various frog brands... I have to improve my catching ratio, because frogs are highly effective.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Hollow frogs - double or single hooks?

Post by Nitroman77 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:38 am

you can bend the hooks upwards so they are not so much into the frog body..
I also use the lake fork frog trailers as well if Im fishing around sparse cover or pads..
You also have to have patience with frog fishing as most guys Ive seen pull the frog out of the fishes mouth and not letting them eat it or feel the fish..
http://lftlures.com/catalog/frog-tail-hook

AndZ
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by AndZ » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:36 pm

Thanks for the tips, I've been doing that instinctively - allowing the fish a longer time to take the frog, but I don't think it was enough. I will practice more, but not during tournaments. Last weekend it was he first time for me using frogs. Anyway, I put a good one in the boat, second largest catch of the tournament.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:29 am

Single hooks by far! I tried every "top" frog bait on the market, with every "pro" frog guy's name on and then some. Tried the Evergreen frog with the single hook and my hook up ratio went from 5% to 90% (YMMV). That success rate was with several rod brands and actions.
There was one drawback. The EG frogs aren't as durable as the "name" brands but I'll trade off durability for bass in the boat!

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:58 pm

There are tons of frog tweaks out there. How you set the hook is also important. I do very well with spro frogs with a little hook adjustment just for my preference. This is what i do and i have not used other frogs enough to comment on them from knowledge.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:19 am

I'm always shocked by the number of guys that have so many problems hooking bass on frogs. I too mainly use Spro products and I've never had any trouble getting the hooks into the fish. I've never bent the hooks on any frog bait I've owned that I can remember, I've just never had any reason to.

I'd say my strike to land ratio with a Spro frog is at least 80%. Or maybe I should look at it differently and just be glad that I've not had the problems other guys have.

To the OP, I've never fished a frog for anything other than bass so I have absolutely no clue as to what may or may not need to be changed/adjusted in order for you to start having more success. I guess if you haven't tried a Spro frog yet you could, that might help?? Their new Bronzeye Shad has a super soft body that I've had great success using. As best I can recall I don't remember missing a single strike on the Shad yet, the body is so soft and collapses out of the way so easily when a fish bites that it really does make it easier to get a good set.

Good luck to you, I hope you soon get it all ironed out and working perfectly.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:55 am

I too do not have many hookup issues. I always trim my skirts to help prevent short strikes and ease of walking. I bent the hooks on my Live Target and have not seen an increase in hookups. I started fishing an Iobee lately and have had good luck on the set. You have to wait a second or two and set the hook UP! Sometimes the fish just grabs the legs of the bait, no hook configuration will fix that.

Jighead61
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jighead61 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:39 pm

Timing (on the hook set) is everything when it comes to frogs, but...
Nitroman77 wrote:you can bend the hooks upwards so they are not so much into the frog body..
performing this mod helps with the landing ratio.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:08 am

Pike are sometimes frustrating using frogs. Pike do not have the accuracy that largemouths do. I guess having a vacuum for a mouth helps bass out. Pike blow up on lures and miss a lot even in open water. When I bass fish wirh LiveTarget frogs, I catch pike from time to time. In pads and heavy weeds, pike will miss 5 or 6 times in a row so the bait may not be to blame as much as you think. I recommend using a cheap frog or find some good sales and stock up. Pike ruin frogs like no other.

Using buzz-type frogs (zoom toads) with a beefy single hook can produce as well. Again look for the most economic bargain because they will get beat up quick.

Pike don't care if the lure has eyelashes or 3D eyes so don't spend your money on the expensive stuff.

maxpowers
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by maxpowers » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:41 am

ccass wrote:Pike are sometimes frustrating using frogs. Pike do not have the accuracy that largemouths do. I guess having a vacuum for a mouth helps bass out. Pike blow up on lures and miss a lot even in open water. When I bass fish wirh LiveTarget frogs, I catch pike from time to time. In pads and heavy weeds, pike will miss 5 or 6 times in a row so the bait may not be to blame as much as you think. I recommend using a cheap frog or find some good sales and stock up. Pike ruin frogs like no other.

Using buzz-type frogs (zoom toads) with a beefy single hook can produce as well. Again look for the most economic bargain because they will get beat up quick.

Pike don't care if the lure has eyelashes or 3D eyes so don't spend your money on the expensive stuff.
Agreed, pike are agressive and will hit it if they think it's a meal.

My advice, I catch a fair number of pike on a frog while bass fishing, as soon as they blow up, I just stop my bait. If they miss it (they often do), they usually will try to hit it again if it lays there for a few seconds. Pike has more to do with accuracy as stated, but be careful, your soft body frogs will get beat up quickly, they go through them like butter.