Winter river smallmouth....

Is there any other species?
11kalnmitc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Winter river smallmouth....

Post by 11kalnmitc » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:59 pm

So i'm finally able to go a back home for a few days since we have a break at school for Thanksgiving break. I'll be hitting up a local river for some smallmouth, but with the way the weather is lately it feels and looks more like February then November. I'm not really sure where to start, current, slack water, deep, or shallow. Should a drift a tube, throw a jerkbait, spinnerbait, swimbait or what? I'm good just about any other time of year but I want something to start on for this trip since it will likely be the last of my fishing year......

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Winter river smallmouth....

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:10 pm

Are you fishing from shore? I would start throwing a jerkbait and lipless crank shallow, then float a tube and drag some footballs if you can do it without getting hung every 3 seconds. I would still hit there typical ambush area such as current breaks and such as I've found river smallies don't move around a whole lot. I've also had good luck throwing small inline spinners this time of year.

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:19 pm

The smallmouth in the Snake River moved to the winter locations several weeks ago. The water temps are in the low 40s. We have had success drop shotting tubes or other small baits. Here's some fish my wife and I caught a couple of weeks ago in about 10-15 feet of water.

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:47 am

Those are great pictures! I always appreciate the fact that you are so willing to share your wisdom and experience with everyone on the forum. You are truly one of the great members of this forum and I always enjoy reading your posts.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:52 am

JDLaman wrote:Those are great pictures! I always appreciate the fact that you are so willing to share your wisdom and experience with everyone on the forum. You are truly one of the great members of this forum and I always enjoy reading your posts.
+1 from me for sure.

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:38 am

JDLaman wrote:Those are great pictures! I always appreciate the fact that you are so willing to share your wisdom and experience with everyone on the forum. You are truly one of the great members of this forum and I always enjoy reading your posts.
I am truly humbled.

Someone needed to tell the fish today. Water temp was 40 and I fished for a couple of hours for only one fish. It came from 16' of water on a 2" Yum Wooly Beavertail in black/blue flake. Air temp was 35 and it sure was cold on the water. It's about time to cover the boat until we get a couple of warm days in a row.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:46 pm

mhood wrote:
+1 from me for sure.
Indeed...+ 2 here. 8-)

11kalnmitc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 11kalnmitc » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:16 am

Thanks for the insight guys, however i may not even be able to get out where i planned :( We had a snow storm move through yesterday.....and most of today however being that the temp was 34 degrees it wasn't snow, it was rain. So now the rivers and creeks are way too high to fish, hopefully they drop by staurday but im not holding my breath. For ow i'm going to try to find a lake that isn't frozen yet......Doubt i'll get anything but i gotta get out before i go back to school :roll:

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:07 am

ROG...nice pics =D>

While i don't drop shot much at all on the rivers i fish, small tubes and small finesse worms are always tied on when i'm out for winter smallies.

OP, the rivers i fish for smallies tend to fish excellent when high water comes in the winter. Smallies get pushed into some predictable spots and stack together. Big fish eat in high mud too.

over the last week or so with water temps rangeing from 34-40 degrees i've caught most of my fish on hair jigs and tubes, with a few on xraps with looooong pauses(like 5 minute pauses in 36 degree water)

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:45 am

Reel Old Geezer wrote:The smallmouth in the Snake River moved to the winter locations several weeks ago. The water temps are in the low 40s. We have had success drop shotting tubes or other small baits. Here's some fish my wife and I caught a couple of weeks ago in about 10-15 feet of water.

ROG - I really enjoy your posts as well. I grew near the Lower Snake River, in a small farming town named Colfax, WA and it is my favorite place in the world. Amazing channel catfishing, and decent sturgeon fishing as well. Never really dialed in the smallmouth, but they are there for the taking. Hoping to retire near the river, if we can somehow afford it. Thanks so much for the pics.

Rick