Punch Skirt

Is there any other species?
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Punch Skirt

Post by goldrod » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:48 am

Before the skirt came along people were catching fish. My question is do you think you catch more fish with a punch skirt than without? I thihk of it as a streamlined jig. I have never used one but I want to know your thoughts on them and esp when you opt for them rather than not?

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Punch Skirt

Post by Nitroman77 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:38 pm

Been testing some new "punch skirts" this year and it's the first time I've used any of them..it is a slimmer profile for pitching or flipping and you can color match the skirt with the bait or go with a green pump chartreuse skirt to liven the bait up..
I think it could go either way on the fish catching scale, but this fall it seemed to help catch a couple more fish for us, which is what we needed.. The skirts I'm using are slightly different then what's out there.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:36 pm

I use Sieberts punch rigs because I'm lazy like that. Already has the skirt tied onto the weight. If it gives me confidence I'm using it. Does it work better with or without the skirt? That's almost impossible to know.

Spot King
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Spot King » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:10 pm

The punch skirt makes the whole rig more weedless. It does depend on what type of grass you're fishing. Baits come through some types of grass cleaner than others. With the punch skirts, I have to pick grass off of my baits less; which means my bait is in the water more. Also, I can fish it in more places than I can a jig with a weed guard. Again, the whole setup is just more weedless. This doesn't mean I never flip a standard jig or a plain plastic creature/craw, because I do; but I fish the punch skirts a lot more. There is no doubt, they've caught me more fish and bigger fish overall; since I've started using them. I've used some sort of punch skirt since they've been around. Last year, they got me a WON cover, a photo spread, pic in another WON issue; and won me $1,500 one contest. I used to fish them after I caught a few on a t-rigged creature, but now I start the day with them. When they're biting a punch skirt, you want to be fishing it.

8-)