Favorite Hollow Body Frogs

Is there any other species?
John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Favorite Hollow Body Frogs

Post by John Puckett » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:09 am

Hollow body frogs are my absolute favorite way to fish, I'm sure I fish them way to much. To the point of knowing I should throw something else but won't. So I started thinking about these lures and got curious as to just which ones, and what colors, you guys like the most.

I'd have to say my favorite right now is the R2S Spittin' Wa, I just can't stop fishing these things. As of today I'd have to say Poison is my favorite color followed by Dirty White and Bream.

Before the Spittin' Wa was released I fished mostly Bronzeye 65's and Jr's. Although the R2S Bully Wa has caught me a few nice bass as well. My favorite color in the Bully Wa frog is Armed Forces.
As far as the Spro's go I like Outback and Killer Gill. I've caught many bass on these two colors. I recently picked up a Clear Chartreuse and Freak color 65. Fished both colors once so far, 1 fish on the Clear Chartreuse and 0 on the Freak.

Anyway guys just wanted to get your opinions on hollow bodies and see what everyone else was throwing. Post pics of some of the "broken in" baits if you have any.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Favorite Hollow Body Frogs

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:36 pm

Fishing on Seminole in the summer,I never put the frog down :big grin: I bring the punch gear but it never gets used. ](*,) Love throwing the Koppers in green/yellow on the patchy grass because it walks so good.I put two worm rattles in it and break one with some pliers.This year I started throwing the Boze Sumo frog aroung thick pads and mats and its done great.Has more of a flat belly so it slides over pads without ever rolling.Owner frog hook works well.Have been using Green Menace.That Killer Gill color also works great for me when the 'gills are poppin in the grass.

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:37 pm

For open water walking, I've had great success with the Jackall Iobee in bluegill color. For heavy cover, windy days and bigger bites, I love the SPRO King Daddy. I also catch a ton on the little 1/4 oz Koppers when they're being picky.

SC Bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SC Bassin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:47 am

I too use a frog much of the time. Boze Sumo is my choice for the reasons above plus it sits in the water like a real frog.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:22 pm

I have a Sumo frog but don't like it. It doesn't have the action of the Bronzeye, Bully Wa, or certainly the Spittin Wa. I just can't get the "right" action from it that I like when frog fishing. Therefore I never get bit on the thing. It seems around here the more noise and commotion I make with my frogs the better the fish like'em. I always work my baits pretty fast with fairly aggressive rod pops to make the bait splash every time it changes direction. I think this is why I really like the Spittin Wa, it has the splash built into it so even when working it slow it still does it.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:47 am

I agree the Boze doesn't have as good action as the others, that's why I think it has its place- very thick mats and pads where you aren't walking it very much. They walk very well for me but you have to trim the legs quite a bit, they are real long. It doesn't get used as much as the koppers and spros but when I notice them rolling over I pull out the Boze. Definitely want to try the spittin wa, looks like it will make plenty of commotion. How's the durability ?

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:08 pm

Mine are holding up pretty well so far. About the only thing I can tell has taken any damage is the paint on the eyes. The base colors, whatever they may be, are holding up just fine. After a couple fish the eyes are pretty bad. The cupped lip, body, legs, body colors, & hook are all still going strong. The only one I have that's showing any signs of wear and tear on the body is the "I Know It" color and even then it's very little. The spot at which the hook point contacts the body is the only place I can see any wear.

All my other colors, Poison, Dirty White, and Bream show no signs of wear at the same contact point. I just put in an order this past Fri at TW for another Spittin' Wa color, Leopard. Just have to wait and see how this color does.

I'll also add that I don't like the 55 size nearly as well as the 70. To me they are very hard to walk, I don't think they are weighted just right. The 70 size is the easiest frog I've fished to get a great walk the dog action with so I was really disappointed to find the 55 was much harder. As far as everything else about the 55 though, it's up to par with the 70.

Also ordered three Bronzeye Shads to check out as well, I'm really excited to get my hands on these.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:12 am

John Puckett wrote:Mine are holding up pretty well so far. About the only thing I can tell has taken any damage is the paint on the eyes. The base colors, whatever they may be, are holding up just fine. After a couple fish the eyes are pretty bad. The cupped lip, body, legs, body colors, & hook are all still going strong. The only one I have that's showing any signs of wear and tear on the body is the "I Know It" color and even then it's very little. The spot at which the hook point contacts the body is the only place I can see any wear.

All my other colors, Poison, Dirty White, and Bream show no signs of wear at the same contact point. I just put in an order this past Fri at TW for another Spittin' Wa color, Leopard. Just have to wait and see how this color does.

I'll also add that I don't like the 55 size nearly as well as the 70. To me they are very hard to walk, I don't think they are weighted just right. The 70 size is the easiest frog I've fished to get a great walk the dog action with so I was really disappointed to find the 55 was much harder. As far as everything else about the 55 though, it's up to par with the 70.

Also ordered three Bronzeye Shads to check out as well, I'm really excited to get my hands on these.
Good deal, thanks for the great info,exactly what I was looking for.Glad the paint is holding for you, that and the weight are usually my main worries.Its only a problem if the paint starts peeling off and thats only happened on a few frogs Ive tried.

Think Ill try the 70 size from your recommendation,sounds like the one to use.Mainly use the 55 size Koppers but I need some bigger frogs to.Looks like a keeper, thanks a lot,was on the fence on this one but not now.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:46 am

Got to fish the new Bronzeye Shads a few times now and I love'em. Fantastic action and it's relatively easy to make walk, easier than the Bronzeye frog but not as easy as the R2S Spittin' Wa 70, IMHO of course.

I was on a pretty decent bite with the Spooky Shad color bait, I had four blow ups with two fish caught in the first hour and a half of fishing it. I only ordered 3 Bronzeye shads for some unknown reason, 1 Killer Gill, 1 Spooky Shad, and 1 Spooky Nasty, and wouldn't you know it a BIG spot (biggest one I've had a chance at) blasted the Spooky Shad bait and broke my 65# PPS8S like it was nothing!! Well it was more a combination of a limb and a few rocks that totally shredded my braid but he still broke me off. Now I'm in the process of re-spooling every reel I have that has S8S on it, but that's another topic entirely.

I know this was a big fish because when I set on it I didn't even turn it's head, it went straight down under the limb to the rocks and broke me off immediately. The whole ordeal was probably 5 seconds, splash, hook set, begin to reel, fish off. I've never had a fish do that to me while using my Powell Max 735 and 65# braid with a locked down Carbontex drag in my Citica E. The drag never gave an inch but my rod sure had a nice bend in it, for a few seconds anyway.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:54 am

My goto is Koppers Live Target black with slight yellow hollow body frog.

johnnybass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johnnybass » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:54 am

My good old standby is the snagproof popper. It sits high and is light so it quivers better than other frogs. Downside is that they are not durable and harder to cast because of the light weight.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:31 am

Really like Spro frogs and the mb pony gabot.

dux
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dux » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:47 am

I used spro for many years, but switched over to Booyah "pad crashers" because they work just as well,but are much more durable and cost less.

yosemite17
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by yosemite17 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:54 am

I like the Lunkerhunt Lunker Frog in green tea. I'm waiting to try them in pearl and Texas Toad.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:37 pm

Mine is still the Spro. Started off with the Scun Frog when I first started bass fishing and the discovery of the Spro was a night and day difference.

I've collected a few brands but find myself coming back to the Spro. The new spittin wa looks good and I have one but haven't had the chance to put it through it's paces. It looks like the lip my be an issue and eventually become unglued after some abuse. The Megabass frog looks nice but vim haven't picked that one up either. I had really high hopes for the Jackall but that frog is just a nightmare to fish for me.

How do you get your frogs to last that long? Mine get completely destroyed after a good day of fishing(doesn't happen much). I wish I could get a Spro to last that long.