Open water frog vs. poppers/walkers

Is there any other species?
greatbarracuda
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Open water frog vs. poppers/walkers

Post by greatbarracuda » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:45 am

Hey All,

Curious what your thoughts on open water frogs vs. poppers/walkers. It seems lure companies like SPRO (no surprise) have been making the push for frogs being useful in open water. While I wouldn't disagree with them being able to catch fish in open water, it's hard to imagine any open water scenario where they'd actually be better than poppers/walkers. Anyone found instances when the frog actually was better?

Cisco
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Open water frog vs. poppers/walkers

Post by Cisco » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:18 am

Due to size and shape of frogs their walk is far more compact compared to your standard spook type walking baits. On a recent trip out I was able to catch bass in open water with frogs where spooks/poppers wouldn't get bit. And as a bonus I was able to cast my frog onto the banks and not worry about getting snagged.

Bass often change their minds about what they want. So you need to be ready to adapt. Sometimes the tight frog walk will work when nothing else (topwater wise) will get bit. My favorite frog right now is the Ish Monroe frog.

Good luck

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:43 pm

Here in Hungary the Deps Basirisky easily outfishes all japanese high end poppers and walkers on open water. I experiment with the Koppers soft frog at the moment and it is great. The key is that bass needs to see the frog as it makes less noise than the others.

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:06 am

Actually I like them both but prefer the popping frogs. I've improved the Spro Dean Rojas Signature Series Bronzeye Popper Frog by removing the leg skirts and replacing them with strips of rabbit fur that I robbed from a jig (a lot like the Deps Buster K). In my opinion it does a great job in open water so much so that when paused the fur continues to undulate in the water usually taking an apprehensive bass to a biting bass (. It even works as a twitch bait and a deadstick bait. Once I get more rabbit strips I'm going to do the sane thing to my Koppers Live Target Hollow Body Frog. I'm absolutely convinced that it improves the catch rate on any floating hollow frog bait application. Might want to give it a try.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:32 am

Native wrote:Actually I like them both but prefer the popping frogs. I've improved the Spro Dean Rojas Signature Series Bronzeye Popper Frog by removing the leg skirts and replacing them with strips of rabbit fur that I robbed from a jig (a lot like the Deps Buster K). In my opinion it does a great job in open water so much so that when paused the fur continues to undulate in the water usually taking an apprehensive bass to a biting bass (. It even works as a twitch bait and a deadstick bait. Once I get more rabbit strips I'm going to do the sane thing to my Koppers Live Target Hollow Body Frog. I'm absolutely convinced that it improves the catch rate on any floating hollow frog bait application. Might want to give it a try.
Rabbit strips make so many different baits look amazing but none of the big companies make anything with it.

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:10 pm

cst wrote:
Native wrote:Actually I like them both but prefer the popping frogs. I've improved the Spro Dean Rojas Signature Series Bronzeye Popper Frog by removing the leg skirts and replacing them with strips of rabbit fur that I robbed from a jig (a lot like the Deps Buster K). In my opinion it does a great job in open water so much so that when paused the fur continues to undulate in the water usually taking an apprehensive bass to a biting bass (. It even works as a twitch bait and a deadstick bait. Once I get more rabbit strips I'm going to do the sane thing to my Koppers Live Target Hollow Body Frog. I'm absolutely convinced that it improves the catch rate on any floating hollow frog bait application. Might want to give it a try.
Rabbit strips make so many different baits look amazing but none of the big companies make anything with it.
Optimum did. It's called the Furbit.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:47 pm

Bass Junkie wrote:
cst wrote:
Optimum did. It's called the Furbit.
Yeah I can think of a few examples here and there. Nathan incorporates some of it in his baits too.

I just think it would be a lot more wide spread.