Swimbait Fishing and Economics...???

Is there any other species?
OG_ZILLION
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Swimbait Fishing and Economics...???

Post by OG_ZILLION » Fri May 24, 2013 4:42 pm

Swimbait Fishing is SOOO EXPENSIVE!!!! I don't know how it can thrive/survive.

I can not see/fathom how some people can have SO MUCH MONEY...that they can afford ALL the techniques in bass fishing and still have enough money left over to fish SWIMBAITS, afford RODS/REELS, afford a BOAT, afford GAS, afford a CAR and on top of that...A mortgage/rent/car insurance/food/family needs.

I just can not "believe it"...because to me...bass fishing is all BUSINESS/MONEY and how does ANYONE have the MONEY for ALL OF IT?

Or is there some way/how and I just haven't figured it out yet? Maybe WIN THE LOTTERY!!! YAYYYY!!! Maybe only eat bread and ramen? YAY!!!! (yeah right!) Sacrifices? What kind than?

The way I see it...you either are 1 of these 3 anglers depending on your FINANCIAL/MONEY BURDEN:

1. ALL SWIMBAITS...ALL THE TIME. Since Swimbaits are SOO EXPENSIVE...you don't have the money to fish any other techniques/baits.
2. You fish 3-4 techniques including SWIMBAITS but you lack funds for a lot of other techniques.
3. You fish AS MANY TECHNIQUES as you possibly can FINANCIALLY but at the expense of NEVER or NOT being able to fish SWIMBAITS since there so EXPENSIVE.

I fall in the 3rd angler category. I try and fish as many techniques as I financially can...BUT SWIMBAITS are ALWAYS out of reach for me financially. I can never stomach the price of a swimbait and get myself to buy one. Its maddening I tell you because I want to fish them. I look at all the BIG BASS photos and all the BIG BASS VIDEOS and WANT to throw swimbaits.

1. What are your thoughts on my theory of economics in bass fishing?
2. Which angler are you?
3. How do you have the money FOR ALL OF IT...if you don't mind me asking?
4. How do you stomach the price and get the impulse to buy a swimbait?

Any and all comments, suggestions, tips and opinions are greatly appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Swimbait Fishing and Economics...???

Post by beezy » Fri May 24, 2013 5:35 pm

Well I guess I'll be the first to give my opinions on this then. I don't think swimbaits are TOO expensive like you've mentioned when you put that into perspective with everything else in bass fishing. I am a college student and I don't have tons of money to spend on baits and therefore I try to buy what I believe the bass in my area would likely bite (i.e bluegill, shad, trout, etc.). Now a highend swimbait like the triple trout to the deps slide swimmer, 3:16 hardbaits can run into the $100 range, they are that price for a reason whether it be good or bad. I for one have bought only one REALLY expensive swimbait and that is the Deps Slide Swimmer 250, but it was well worth the money in the long run. Now, I was always skeptical of the price of these baits as opposed to crankbaits and spinnerbaits, etc. However, when you really take a long look at it, you buy probably 10 - 15 crankbaits at a time and could swap that out for one of the higher end swimbaits or you can buy 4 or 5 huddleston swimbaits (a staple in most swimbait angler's arsenal).

To seriously answer your question, I always considered everything that I have in my arsenal from my rod, reel, fishing line and everything else. When you really look at it, your rod costs quite a bit and even your reel and fishing line (depending on what brand you buy). So then if you wanted to really jump into swimbaits, why would you go out and buy very cheap baits? I mean there are some good value swimbaits out there for starters, but I've learned in my experience that it's best to invest in a quality product and have it last fish after fish as opposed to a cheap alternative that requires constant tinkering, etc. As far as your categories go, I'm not even sure which one I would rate myself as because when I first started bass fishing, I wanted to fish every single technique out there. But I quickly found out certain techniques that worked for me and others that didn't. Swimbait fishing just so happens to be one that stuck to me because of the better quality fish that would fall victim to my bait. I think that you have to consider what type of swimbaits you want to fish? I'm assuming you're saying swimbait fishing in general, but swimbaits are so diverse from soft swimbaits to the hard counterparts. This is just my opinion on swimbait fishing. I hope other guys chime in but feel free to respond to this because swimbaits are so diverse that almost anything can be called a swimbait.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Fri May 24, 2013 8:26 pm

Or you could live where I do and have almost as many pike as bass in most lakes. Makes it hard to even throw Vision 110's at times after having some get destroyed or cut right off.... :crying: ....oh yeah, most of the big swimbaits out west or down south are bigger than the average largemouth here. :cry:

OG_ZILLION
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by OG_ZILLION » Sat May 25, 2013 12:24 am

vinnieb729 wrote:Or you could live where I do and have almost as many pike as bass in most lakes. Makes it hard to even throw Vision 110's at times after having some get destroyed or cut right off.... :crying: ....oh yeah, most of the big swimbaits out west or down south are bigger than the average largemouth here. :cry:
HAHA LOL =) This made my day! I guess I shouldn't be complaining too much. Pike are pretty nasty and I am glad I am in CA where we don't have any.

Thanks for the comments guys. I guess swimbaits will just have to wait till I get that SIX FIGURE INCOME or when I win the LOTTERY!!! I should probably go down to the local liquor store right now and buy a lottery ticket. Haha =)

Thanks.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat May 25, 2013 3:01 am

OG_ZILLION

A "swimbait", in its true definition, need not be large, or exclusive or expensive...for one.

On a side note, you're on pace for to set a record for most posts by a newbie in all the hallowed annals of TT history... ;)

Welcome.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sat May 25, 2013 3:04 am

OG_ZILLION wrote:Swimbait Fishing is SOOO EXPENSIVE!!!! I don't know how it can thrive/survive.

I can not see/fathom how some people can have SO MUCH MONEY...that they can afford ALL the techniques in bass fishing and still have enough money left over to fish SWIMBAITS, afford RODS/REELS, afford a BOAT, afford GAS, afford a CAR and on top of that...A mortgage/rent/car insurance/food/family needs.

I just can not "believe it"...because to me...bass fishing is all BUSINESS/MONEY and how does ANYONE have the MONEY for ALL OF IT?

Or is there some way/how and I just haven't figured it out yet? Maybe WIN THE LOTTERY!!! YAYYYY!!! Maybe only eat bread and ramen? YAY!!!! (yeah right!) Sacrifices? What kind than?

The way I see it...you either are 1 of these 3 anglers depending on your FINANCIAL/MONEY BURDEN:

1. ALL SWIMBAITS...ALL THE TIME. Since Swimbaits are SOO EXPENSIVE...you don't have the money to fish any other techniques/baits.
2. You fish 3-4 techniques including SWIMBAITS but you lack funds for a lot of other techniques.
3. You fish AS MANY TECHNIQUES as you possibly can FINANCIALLY but at the expense of NEVER or NOT being able to fish SWIMBAITS since there so EXPENSIVE.

I fall in the 3rd angler category. I try and fish as many techniques as I financially can...BUT SWIMBAITS are ALWAYS out of reach for me financially. I can never stomach the price of a swimbait and get myself to buy one. Its maddening I tell you because I want to fish them. I look at all the BIG BASS photos and all the BIG BASS VIDEOS and WANT to throw swimbaits.

1. What are your thoughts on my theory of economics in bass fishing?
If there weren't enough people to buy them, there wouldn't be a market to make baits for. Look at the way limited production baits command prices well above retail. It's not a mass production market. It's mostly supplied by small companies making limited stock with relatively high demand and prices that reflect that.
2. Which angler are you?
I don't really like to categorize myself. I fish whatever techniques I think will get me fish/wins. I have buddies that are awesome anglers but are one trick ponies. I add a continuous stream of a few new baits here and there, as money allows, and add in a new technique or two a year, under the same conditions. You can't have it all right away, and you couldn't learn the techniques anyway. Learn the bait, and the technique. Anyone can throw any bait, but if you know it inside and out you will have success. The financial limitation is actually a benefit here. I know guys that hit it big and get a boat and all the gear, and end up out in the lake helpless and confused. Fish from shore, one rod, then a tinny, a kayak, streams, rivers, lakes and reservoirs, perfecting a new technique, chasing new specie every year as money allows and you will be a deep, talented angler.
3. How do you have the money FOR ALL OF IT...if you don't mind me asking?
Don't be confused here. There are plenty of people who are successful, financially stable anglers. Many outdoorsmen were raised the right way, honest, hardworking and fair. It kind of comes with the old school mentality. That generally translates very well to the business world. Not to mention that fishing is such an addiction for many that it is highly motivating when it comes to earning. You know as a 20 yr old that if you are going to have that 75k bass boat, 50k truck, +++ then you are going to need the career to match. Yes, the economy is down, but look around. Lots of people still have money.
4. How do you stomach the price and get the impulse to buy a swimbait? What else do you need to spend the money on? Are you struggling with the price because you are going to go hungry if you buy it? You spend what you can. If you have a shot at a lifetime bass, how much is that worth to you?

Any and all comments, suggestions, tips and opinions are greatly appreciated and welcomed.
Be smart, work hard and save money for the right things so you have money for the fun things. I need a bass boat, but a house is more important right now. If you are smart now, those things will come later. I am less than 2 years away from my career goal of the last ten years, which will net me 6 figures plus. I can wait until then for my custom ranger haha. For years I fished just fine with 2 rods, some bags of plastics and plano 3700 with a few baits. I caught fish just fine.
Thanks.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sat May 25, 2013 3:07 am

And just remember, 6 figures isn't that much anymore. And it will be even less in 25 years.
It might have been a big deal 25 years ago, but in many areas with the price of housing, you need 100k as a family income just to get by ok.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat May 25, 2013 3:46 am

BucketHunter wrote:And just remember, 6 figures isn't that much anymore. And it will be even less in 25 years.
It might have been a big deal 25 years ago, but in many areas with the price of housing, you need 100k as a family income just to get by ok.
Unfortunately true....$100k in the 80s is nearly three times the dollar value vs today. Many jobs/careers have not adjusted to keep up with inflation since the 80s...professional athletes/corporate CEOs/etc. (as examples) have, however, more than surpassed (many fold over) any inflation rates we have seen in the last few decades.

BTW OG_ZILLION, you may be able to pickup some SBs for much less if you post a WTB...you will need 100 posts, however the pace you are setting should get you there very shortly.

Good luck.

Phantasy_Fishing
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Phantasy_Fishing » Wed May 29, 2013 6:48 am

This is how I look at it.

I've been fishing for long time and as as much as I don't want to admit it, fishing is starting to get boring. After catching so many fish, its not about catching fish anymore. Its about how you catch them. I only use a few techniques now. I would say 70% of the time I'm throwing topwaters. Then about 15% goes to jerkbaits. The other 10% goes to spinnerbaits and crankbaits. The last 5 % goes to miscellanoues things like trying new lures and stuff. I've completely phased out finesse fishing because I find that to be really boring. You would think that I would be missing out on some good fish. I know I am, but I don't care. Using a technique that brings no joy or excitement to me is pointless. That's why I throw topwaters so often. Its that monster hit that gets my heart pounding! The rush of excitement as a fish leaps airborne trying to destroy my lure still hasn't gotten old yet. I fear one day it might. Another thing I noticed was as the years passed by, my lures became bigger and bigger. Therefore, it was inevitable that one day I would try swimbaits. I don't have anything fancy yet. I just have the basic SPRO's. However, if history repeats itself, those SPRO's will eventually get replaced by more high end swimbaits. Seeing a fish hit a big swimbait is also exciting too. Plus, there's also pike and muskies up here to keep things interesting. Most fishing trips nowdays invlove taking out friends who are new to fishing, and teaching them how to fish. Also, I think I'm more obsessed with taking good quality photos of my fishing trips then actually catching lots of fish!

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johns » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:25 am

Swimbaits don't have to be expensive if you don't want it to be. The inital investment might be more, but if you take everything into consideration it is cheaper. I throw mostly MS Slammers which cost $35 to $45. My reel is a millionare cvz, $200 which is at least $100 cheaper than almost all my other reels. My rod is a crucial 7'11" heavy,$150. Most of my other rods are over $200. You can get all of this used for less money. Fishing this morning I looked at my slammer and it was made in 2006. How many packs of plastics,spinnerbaits,buzzbaits etc have you used in the last 7 years? I have my slammer with me every time I go fishing, from the first time I go fishing in the spring till the lakes are covered with ice. Every one of my fish over 6lbs have come on swimbaits. The only problem with swimbaits is once you start catching big fish on then you will buy more, you will buy different ones and backups for the backups in case you loose one or one breaks. good luck !!!

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:47 am

Lots of guys have all the gear and then some...you just kind of build it up over time. Birthdays, Xmas, tax returns...etc. One of the keys is taking care of your gear so you aren't always replacing it. ;)

I'm going to assume "swimbaits" here means bigger baits only.

Swimbait fishing does not need to be any more expensive than any other type of fishing. Go read the Swimbait rod wars. The Okuma rods were very affordable...under $200 at the time. You don't need a bunch of baits either. Some paddletails, hudd ROF5 and a good topwater bait will cover most conditions. Maybe a hard jointed bait thrown in...it is not like crankbait fishing where you need a bunch of shallow, medium and deep cranks of different colors with different gear ratio reels to run them and different power rods to fish them all properly. Big Game is cheap line and is all I throw when fishing big lures.

BBZ-Jr $20
Injected Lunker Punker $20-$25
Hudd $20

3:16s and Roman Mades are nice, but they are something you want to work up to.

daiwa_fan_91
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by daiwa_fan_91 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:10 pm

You just gotta look around...i found this guy that sales swimbaits 6$-18$ (i bought a good 6inch baby bass swimbait for 8.99$ shipped!!)

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:50 am

Move to the Ozarks, swimbaits don't work too well in this part of the country, so you won't have to buy any. If you make $100K or more here you can live like a king, 3000 sq. foot house with an oversized garage to house your 21 foot Bass boat.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:48 am

A lot of the top swimbait guys out here in the west fish out of tiny tin cans and focus on a few baits, like Butch Brown. One of my team partners has over $10,000 invested in swimbaits, many of them custom and rare, and he doesn't even have his own boat. Spend your money where you think it is important. The fish don't know what you are fishing out of. You really need to spend a lot of time on the water learning your baits and lakes to be a consistently successful big bait fisherman. I would rather be really good with one or two swimbaits than blindly throw whatever is the latest. We have plenty of young kids that roam the shores of our SoCal reservoirs with a few baits and catch monsters.
To answer your questions:
1. Economics drives the big companies and most of the small ones.
2. I have a big expensive boat with way too many baits (I'm currently trying to get 1/3 of the lures out of my boat)
3. I got a high level education to get a high level job.
4. I only buy a swimbait when I think it will fill a niche that I don't currently have a lure for. The glidebaits is my lacking area currently.

basskeeter1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basskeeter1 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:15 am

If you want to share great stories, you have to spend the money!