30 lb braided main line suggestion...???

Is there any other species?
branover
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 30 lb braided main line suggestion...???

Post by branover » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:44 am

I use 30lb Samurai or PP Ss8 on pretty much all of my set ups with no problem. Usually a 12lb leader involved as well. I have couple with 20 lb and I'm happy with them to.

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:41 am

I agree with several others here that Sunline SX1 is tough to beat. I've been using 20-40 lb. since it first came out and haven't had a failure yet.

I found PP Slick 8 to have a very thick diameter and loses it's color very fast and turns white. I found Sufix 832 to have poor durability and abrasion resistance, and since it sinks so it's no good for topwater. Samurai is probably okay in heavier lb test but I had too many break offs with the lighter line.
cndbasshunter wrote:my main casting line is 20-30lb sx1 braid, for bottom contact / pitching i use 50lb fx2.

bradkoll
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by bradkoll » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:07 pm

On my bait casters I use 20 or 30lb braid almost exclusively, only thing I don't use it with is crank baits. Last year the only 30lb I used was PowerPro Superslick, had great luck until it was a few months old and I was snapping all baits off mid air on hard casts. I have switched to regular PowerPro in 30lb and have had a couple instances of launching baits too hard and snapping off, but not as bad as super slick when it was old and faded. I would recommend the super slick despite the break offs. Just keep an eye on it when it starts to get excessive wear as the season progresses. Still had better luck with super slick than my friends and their 832, seems like they are always snapping baits.

As for hook sets I have never had an issue with any of my 30lb on the hook set. I get some heavy use once a year on a 10 day trip to Canada for pike/smallmouth/walleye/muskie. Pull out hundreds of critters where under 20" anything but smallmouth is considered disappointing.

Switch to 30lb and enjoy some longer casts with plenty sufficient piece of mind on the hookset.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:26 pm

bradkoll wrote:On my bait casters I use 20 or 30lb braid almost exclusively, only thing I don't use it with is crank baits. Last year the only 30lb I used was PowerPro Superslick, had great luck until it was a few months old and I was snapping all baits off mid air on hard casts. I have switched to regular PowerPro in 30lb and have had a couple instances of launching baits too hard and snapping off, but not as bad as super slick when it was old and faded. I would recommend the super slick despite the break offs. Just keep an eye on it when it starts to get excessive wear as the season progresses. Still had better luck with super slick than my friends and their 832, seems like they are always snapping baits.

As for hook sets I have never had an issue with any of my 30lb on the hook set. I get some heavy use once a year on a 10 day trip to Canada for pike/smallmouth/walleye/muskie. Pull out hundreds of critters where under 20" anything but smallmouth is considered disappointing.

Switch to 30lb and enjoy some longer casts with plenty sufficient piece of mind on the hookset.
kinda interesting...maybe ur friend got a bad batch of 832 cause I've been using my 832 as well as performance for 3 yrs now and not one time did I have a breakoff

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:13 am

bradkoll wrote:On my bait casters I use 20 or 30lb braid almost exclusively, only thing I don't use it with is crank baits. Last year the only 30lb I used was PowerPro Superslick, had great luck until it was a few months old and I was snapping all baits off mid air on hard casts. I have switched to regular PowerPro in 30lb and have had a couple instances of launching baits too hard and snapping off, but not as bad as super slick when it was old and faded. I would recommend the super slick despite the break offs. Just keep an eye on it when it starts to get excessive wear as the season progresses. Still had better luck with super slick than my friends and their 832, seems like they are always snapping baits.

You may have a cracked or chipped guide causing these breakoffs. Only time I have ever broken braid on casts was when I had a damaged guide. Braid should last a lot longer than a few months use without fraying.

archy
Angler
Angler

Post by archy » Sat May 03, 2014 6:52 am

suffix 832 and powerpro zero impact

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Tue May 20, 2014 10:38 am

Was glad to see this post. I always read when I got back into fishing a few years ago that you shouldn't use less than a 40# braid because of it digging in. Since then I have read of quite a few people using 20-30# braid with little of no trouble. Almost picked up some 30# PP tonight to try on my new T3 1016. Guess I will go ahead and give it a shot.

Edit: One of the first b/c reels I bought has 40# Sufix Performance on it. Can't recall ever having a problem with it digging in.

87tpita
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 87tpita » Wed May 28, 2014 11:54 am

30# power pro with 15# sea gar fluro leader..... have yet to have an issue. .. even straightened a jig out ... replaced the leader line afterwards but was very impressed

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Thu May 29, 2014 6:35 am

I've been fishing 30# PP on my 51E for a couple of months now and I've not had a single issue. 87tpita and I are on the same page, I too run a 15# fluorocarbon leader most of the time. If the water is fairly dirty or I'm fishing in grass I'll go straight braid but the vast majority of the time I'm running a leader. I primarily use my 51E for "bottom contact" techniques and feel more confident when using a leader.

I've not experienced any "digging" issues but that could mostly be due to having my drag set appropriately for the strength of the leader. Also I always make sure to spool my braid with a good amount of tension so that it's packed on there tight.

aprestonSEK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aprestonSEK » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:28 am

I use 30lb Power Pro super slick with 17lb seaguar red label with no problems at all. I have been using it the whole season with no breakage issues.

To solve digging issues I use mono backing and electric tape

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:44 am

Currently, nothing has me as excited as Seaguar Smackdown....

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:01 pm

dragon1 wrote:Currently, nothing has me as excited as Seaguar Smackdown....
Not even samurai?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:47 pm

Chode wrote:
dragon1 wrote:Currently, nothing has me as excited as Seaguar Smackdown....
Not even samurai?
Yep....I have fished some lighter test Samuai. It is too limp for what I prefer on braid/PE type lines. I haven't fished the Smackdown yet, but preliminary reviews on it have been impressive.