The best way for a splitshot rig?

Is there any other species?
spoon2610
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

The best way for a splitshot rig?

Post by spoon2610 » Sun May 12, 2013 9:29 am

Is there any other way to rig up a "split shot rig" without using a split shot? I'm just not confident with squeezing a split shot to my 4lbs test and having it fail when I hook up to a 4 or 5 pounder. I'm actually looking for an easier or faster way to do it.
Here is how im setting it up now 2 pegs and a slip weight and my problem is that the bottom peg keeps moving down when i cast.
:doh:

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The best way for a splitshot rig?

Post by Cal » Sun May 12, 2013 10:01 am

I fished a split shot rig exclusively for YEARS and never had a problem using a very thin 6lb test.

My largest bass was on a set up like this.. 11lbs plus.

spoon2610
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by spoon2610 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:28 am

Cal wrote:I fished a split shot rig exclusively for YEARS and never had a problem using a very thin 6lb test.

My largest bass was on a set up like this.. 11lbs plus.
WOW, I just not confident i guess.

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Sun May 12, 2013 6:44 pm

I know you guys at DVL have to drop to 4 or 5lb test to catch bass so I understand where you're coming from.

Like Cal said, you can get by with crimping on a Water Gremlin split shot on your line without a problem. The other option is the mojo rig, where you slide a few strands of living rubber in the sinker. Last option for convenience is a Peg It from Top Brass.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon May 13, 2013 1:05 am

Question for you guys on this rig...

I have used it many times, dragging craws threw weeks and such with this rig, but hard far do you usually put the split shot from the hook? I usually put the weight about 8-10" away from the hook.. Seems to work for me but how about you guys?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon May 13, 2013 1:21 am

JerryC wrote:Question for you guys on this rig...

I have used it many times, dragging craws threw weeks and such with this rig, but hard far do you usually put the split shot from the hook? I usually put the weight about 8-10" away from the hook.. Seems to work for me but how about you guys?
I fish this pretty much exclusively with a 4 or 6 inch finesse worm similar to the RoboWorms straight tail - this was before Robo became so prominent. It is not a good rig for fishing through weeds because the split shot catches.

And yea, anywhere from 6-12 inches from the bait is where I crimp.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon May 13, 2013 1:25 am

Cal wrote:

I fish this pretty much exclusively with a 4 or 6 inch finesse worm similar to the RoboWorms straight tail - this was before Robo became so prominent. It is not a good rig for fishing through weeds because the split shot catches.

And yea, anywhere from 6-12 inches from the bait is where I crimp.
Thanks Cal.. i've actually had all of my luck throwing this rid in weeds, rarely got caught up to be honest.

So i guess you fish this similar to a Carolina rig?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon May 13, 2013 1:28 am

JerryC wrote:So i guess you fish this similar to a Carolina rig?
That's pretty much what a split shot rig is... a finesse Carolina rig with less tying ;)

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Mon May 13, 2013 1:46 am

When do you guys like using this over the ten or so other ways to rig a finesse worm?

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon May 13, 2013 2:31 am

Cal wrote:
JerryC wrote:So i guess you fish this similar to a Carolina rig?
That's pretty much what a split shot rig is... a finesse Carolina rig with less tying ;)
Thanks, i never thought of it that way but your right.

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Mon May 13, 2013 4:18 am

capt1fish wrote:I know you guys at DVL have to drop to 4 or 5lb test to catch bass so I understand where you're coming from.

Like Cal said, you can get by with crimping on a Water Gremlin split shot on your line without a problem. The other option is the mojo rig, where you slide a few strands of living rubber in the sinker. Last option for convenience is a Peg It from Top Brass.

I've always used a small section of extra line (or a short piece of line cut from your main line) to tie a uni knot stopper onto the line. Quick, economical, convenient, effective; doesn't get much better. Give it a try! :big grin:

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Mon May 13, 2013 12:04 pm

I used to crimp the split shot 12-18" above the hook. I suppose it all depends on the type of cover you fished. I fished mostly open areas void of weeds so a longer leader worked better.

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Mon May 13, 2013 12:11 pm

cst wrote:When do you guys like using this over the ten or so other ways to rig a finesse worm?
Not a lot of guys split shot in our neck of the woods anymore, including myself. I normally rig a drop shot or darter head in lieu of the split shot.

Maybe I should buy another rod and reel combo as my dedicated split shot rig rod. That will get me using it again. XX Megabass maybe? :lol: :lol:

cueball
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cueball » Mon May 13, 2013 11:24 pm

I assume the bottom peg is the one on the left. I think the problem is that the thin part of the peg is facing away from the sinker. The thin part of the peg needs to go into the sinker so gets pinched to the line. Is there a way to reverse that peg?

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Tue May 14, 2013 1:05 am

If you're really that worried about line damage, Water Gremlin also makes a product called Rubbercor that might help address your fears.
Rubbercore.jpg
Rubbercore.jpg (8.22 KiB) Viewed 9502 times
Personally, I'm fine with just pinching on split shot.