The best way for a splitshot rig?

Is there any other species?
spoon2610
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: The best way for a splitshot rig?

Post by spoon2610 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:55 am

bigreddog wrote:If you're really that worried about line damage, Water Gremlin also makes a product called Rubbercor that might help address your fears.
Rubbercore.jpg
Personally, I'm fine with just pinching on split shot.

Oh yes i remember these i will try them out.
thanks

spoon2610
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by spoon2610 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:56 am

capt1fish wrote:I know you guys at DVL have to drop to 4 or 5lb test to catch bass so I understand where you're coming from.

Like Cal said, you can get by with crimping on a Water Gremlin split shot on your line without a problem. The other option is the mojo rig, where you slide a few strands of living rubber in the sinker. Last option for convenience is a Peg It from Top Brass.
i like that MojoRig going to the shop today to get some.
Thanks

spoon2610
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by spoon2610 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:58 am

cueball wrote:I assume the bottom peg is the one on the left. I think the problem is that the thin part of the peg is facing away from the sinker. The thin part of the peg needs to go into the sinker so gets pinched to the line. Is there a way to reverse that peg?
Im not sure if i can turn the peg.

jbassc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbassc » Tue May 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Thats like breathing without lungs lmao..i like the old traditional way :mrgreen:

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:14 pm

Your pic is basically the mojo rig. You can get a tool to put through the hole and pull strands of doubled up spinnerbait skirt strands through for a firmer, more non-slip set up.

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Wed May 15, 2013 3:54 am

spoon2610 wrote:Is there any other way to rig up a "split shot rig" without using a split shot? I'm just not confident with squeezing a split shot to my 4lbs test and having it fail when I hook up to a 4 or 5 pounder. I'm actually looking for an easier or faster way to do it.
Here is how im setting it up now 2 pegs and a slip weight and my problem is that the bottom peg keeps moving down when i cast.
:doh:

This is exactly what I use. I use the rubber bopper stoppers at the end of think weights to hold it in place. Never had an issue with it although the weights sometimes slides down if it gets hung a bit. I also just use a split shot and wrap the line over once to prevent the line from sliding down. I never did have an issue losing a fish but with a regular split shot it does get hung up more.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sat May 18, 2013 2:41 pm

If the weight is going to remain a set distance from the hook, perhaps a small swivel?

spoon2610
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by spoon2610 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:25 pm

i_am_R2 wrote:If the weight is going to remain a set distance from the hook, perhaps a small swivel?
I tried the swivel but it too time consuming because when it leader breaks. I have to retie and i always forget to bring extra line. ](*,)

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Sat May 18, 2013 4:30 pm

spoon2610 wrote:
i_am_R2 wrote:If the weight is going to remain a set distance from the hook, perhaps a small swivel?
I tried the swivel but it too time consuming because when it leader breaks. I have to retie and i always forget to bring extra line. ](*,)
From a time consumption stand point, you're better off with the Peg-It from Top Brass. It's on my agenda to re-use these in addition to bobber stops for my punching on the delta this summer. It'll work perfect for what you're asking for.

spoon2610
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by spoon2610 » Sat May 18, 2013 4:49 pm

From a time consumption stand point, you're better off with the Peg-It from Top Brass. It's on my agenda to re-use these in addition to bobber stops for my punching on the delta this summer. It'll work perfect for what you're asking for.

Image[/quote]

I've seen that thingy but never thought to try it.

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Wed May 22, 2013 4:44 am

That "thingy" is all I use now. And no more split shots: only Mojo weights. Slide thru weeds better. Somtimes I cut the Mojo in half for lighter presentation.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:01 am

Water Gremlin has also come out with the "Bull Shot" a crimp on bullet style weight made for split-shotting.

clemmy
Angler
Angler

Post by clemmy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:16 am

Personally, I treat it as a lightweight carolina rig and use a small swivel. Alot of the time if you are using a split shot rig, it's a pressured or finicky bite, and I believe that the sliding weight will help a little. What I do (and do with heavier line/hooks for my carolina rigs) is pre tie swivel/leader line/hook in 3", 6", 12" and 18" lengths. I use lighter line that the mainline, as I like to use tungsten, and I'd rather lose a hook to snag than the sinker. You could use foam to wrap the rigs, but I just coil them in small zip locks, and label the rig details with a sharpie.

Other options you could try would be using a carolina kepper plastic, or using the thread type of bobber stop below your existing rubber bobber stop to help keep it from sliding.

Clemmy

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:51 am

I caught bass up to 10 1/4 pounds in the 80's and 90's on four pound test mono with an "old school" split shot. Most of the finesse originators, like Disk Trask, that I fished against used Ultragreen Maxima mono. I always used the Bullet Weights split shot in #4 or 5 without the groves with mono. It is a lot less likely to damage your line. Mono seems to do much better than fluoro when you crimp it. I rarely split shot anymore, but when I do I use the mojo weights with the supplied rubber because I have had bad luck using split shot on fluoro.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:58 am

Quillback wrote:Water Gremlin has also come out with the "Bull Shot" a crimp on bullet style weight made for split-shotting.
That's what I always use...the 1/16 oz. for my finesse stuff. Fish it slow and stay ready.