anyone ever?

Is there any other species?
panda_slicks86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

anyone ever?

Post by panda_slicks86 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:11 pm

any one ever use a square bill silent or knocker for night fishing?. i have used it with tons of luck at times when the top water bite is off...... probably caught 16 or so fish on a silent square bill when my buddy was not having any luck working the typical night fishing lures...... dont hear many ppl talking about night fishing. sometimes more productive than day fishing.

panda_slicks86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: anyone ever?

Post by panda_slicks86 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:39 pm

cmon guys i want some input on if anyone has ever tried this... or if and one in the world likes to night fish.... don't just peek at the topic give some insight!

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:16 am

Sure. Night fishing is not much different than fishing during the day. Fish can still find food by sight, sound, and vibration. It will all depend on what triggers that individual fish to bite. Do they want to hear something, or use their lateral line to detect vibrations in the water? Normally I like to use a Humping Toad at night, or a spook. Being that its dark, I usuall y am hesitant to throw a treble hook bait, but they do pretty darn good down here when its around 5-630 in the afternoon and the suns getting ready to go down.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:54 pm

I just started doing a little night fishing this past summer. I guess I made 4 to 5 trips. I liked it ok, much cooler temps being the best thing I found. I being new to night fishing researched it a little on the web and then also asked around at the local tackle shop to see what most "locals" were using at night. I was advised to use curly tail worms, jigs, and buzzbaits. I never got a single strike on the buzzbait, and I never caught a fish using the jig, although I did get a few hits. The only thing I had any luck using were the plastics.

While out at night it even easier to hear what other people are using so I think I know why the buzzbait wasn't working. It seemed like every second guy I came across was throwing one :lol: .

I enjoyed my time night fishing I just wish I could have been a little more productive. I'll be giving it another shot this summer so any tips would be very helpful. I mainly caught my fish at night in the same places I would in the day time, flipping grass on the main river, in brush piles, and on rocky banks.

mikezho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikezho » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:56 pm

I have good luck with white color. What color do you use?
panda_slicks86 wrote:any one ever use a square bill silent or knocker for night fishing?. i have used it with tons of luck at times when the top water bite is off...... probably caught 16 or so fish on a silent square bill when my buddy was not having any luck working the typical night fishing lures...... dont hear many ppl talking about night fishing. sometimes more productive than day fishing.

panda_slicks86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by panda_slicks86 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:48 pm

for me it don't matter its all in the action but usually the darker the better on moon lit nights ........ with night fishing you gotta power fish different baits every 20 casts till something happens... one night i wanted to catch frog fish so bad and they were hittin it all night but i only caught 3 fish and my buddy's were using square bills. one was using a small strike king square bill in white and the other guy was using a rapala clackin crank square bill dont recall the color but they each caught at least 16-20 plus fish ..... should of just switched it up. they liked the frog but they were hittin it weird and a bunch of small fish blowing up on it. ......... top 3 night fishing lures 1. heddon torpedo 2. square bill silent or not. 3.jitter bug . action, not colors are what im looking for and the ability to stop a bait is key some times........ i tossed a torpedo one night let it hit the water .... dug in my pack opened a coors ... rolled a cigg up .... lit the cigg and booooooom! fish hit my lure about 2 mins after it hit the water with no action ... that moment changed my night fishing life. and also if you are night fishing never use a bright light or point it at or around the water it will spook em, if you gotta retie turn your head lamp down to a low setting and turn away from water....

thukidad
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by thukidad » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:02 pm

I do quite a bit of night fishing. I like to use larger profile lures at night like brush hogs, 7 in senkos, 10in worm, chatterbait with larger trailer, big topwater lures, etc.. for me these larger profile lures move a lot more water.. color isnt as important for me.. anything dark will do it just have to be bulky.. night fishing can be very productive plus you generally have the water all by yourself...

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:11 pm

Have caught them on deep diving crankbaits at night as well....although I dont do it really often.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:34 pm

Hmmm...sounds like a black Buzzjet might be a nice addition to the square bill one-knocker. ;)

SaltyBass
Angler
Angler

Post by SaltyBass » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:44 am

dragon1 wrote:Hmmm...sounds like a black Buzzjet might be a nice addition to the square bill one-knocker. ;)
Such a good night bait, and the strikes in the dark on that thing wake you up like none other. Bass get Hulk like rage when they see/hear/feel it.

panda_slicks86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by panda_slicks86 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:35 pm

dragon1 wrote:Hmmm...sounds like a black Buzzjet might be a nice addition to the square bill one-knocker. ;)
the deps lures are super sick just a little too much coin for my liking ...... prop baits are one of my favorite baits for night ill take one any day over a buzzbait cover permitted ...... i think the ability to pause a bait is crucial while fishing at night. i really like the heddon torpedo after some fine tuning of the prop. but i will say the need better hooks, the barbs are super hard to get out ... never have a problem losing fish just getting the hooks out is a chore.