Getting A Frog Ready To Fish

Is there any other species?
Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Getting A Frog Ready To Fish

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:49 am

What are the things that I can do to a frog to get it ready to fish?

Thanks,
Crankbaitmaker

aftermathpb31
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Getting A Frog Ready To Fish

Post by aftermathpb31 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:00 am

When I started using frogs the ones that I had purchased had the hooks sitting too close right up against the bait. I got a many hits but every time I set the hook they didnt catch. So I bent the hoooks up a little bit and make sure to always pull up when i set the hook. Have caught quite a few bass with them now just slowly tugging them over heavily weeded areas and lily pads. Also seem to work best early morning with calm warm temperature water down in Florida.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:05 pm

Haven't caught a frog fish yet, just some blow ups, but one thing that helps frogs that are hard to walk is to put a snap on the line tie, and if you want more movement, trimming the legs a little at a time until you get the desired action is something to consider.

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:25 am

Do you guys seal them in any way to keep the water out?

Crankbaitmaker

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:45 pm

Hmmm, I haven't thought of that but that might be a good idea depending on the brand. The ones I have tried have been pretty good in regards to retaining water. If they did being to sink a good squeeze usually fixes things. Good luck!

FishG3
Angler
Angler

Post by FishG3 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:47 pm

Slightly bend the hooks upwards and add rattles whether glass or bb's whatever you prefer. Makes a big difference I think.

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:12 pm

First of all, DO NOT SEAL THE FROG!! The frog must have a way to expel air from it's body upon the strike in order to allow the hooks to become exposed. Sealing the frog seals the air in, and makes it impossible to hook the fish. I personally use Spro Bronzeye frogs 90% of the time, and all I do to prepare them is fold the legs over the head and cut them off at the front of the line tie. This allows enough of the legs to remain to make the frog a viable option for chugging, and giving a realistic profile, while at the same time making walking the frog much easier. I will also "break in" the body with my thumb by pressing down on the plastic area between the hooks and compressing the body a few times. There is no need to bend the hooks, the frog is very well designed. As for hook sets, use braid, wait a second, and whack them hard. I have set the hook at virtually all angles on frog fish, and as long as you give them a second and then hit them hard, you will hook up.

panda_slicks86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by panda_slicks86 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:51 pm

Don't wast cash on koppers get spro or jackall even booya are better especially for the cash ....... wish I could get a evergreen kicker frog sommin with the single hook seems tasty

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Crankbaitmaker wrote:What are the things that I can do to a frog to get it ready to fish?

Thanks,
Crankbaitmaker
i tie it on. :big grin:

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:38 pm

Crankbaitmaker wrote:Do you guys seal them in any way to keep the water out?

Crankbaitmaker
i was going to with my older baits but the newer snagproofs have a chamber to keep the bait from getting water logged.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:39 pm

Bass Junkie wrote:First of all, DO NOT SEAL THE FROG!! The frog must have a way to expel air from it's body upon the strike in order to allow the hooks to become exposed. Sealing the frog seals the air in, and makes it impossible to hook the fish. I personally use Spro Bronzeye frogs 90% of the time, and all I do to prepare them is fold the legs over the head and cut them off at the front of the line tie. This allows enough of the legs to remain to make the frog a viable option for chugging, and giving a realistic profile, while at the same time making walking the frog much easier. I will also "break in" the body with my thumb by pressing down on the plastic area between the hooks and compressing the body a few times. There is no need to bend the hooks, the frog is very well designed. As for hook sets, use braid, wait a second, and whack them hard. I have set the hook at virtually all angles on frog fish, and as long as you give them a second and then hit them hard, you will hook up.
agreed. never TOTALLY seal the frog. i do know people, though, that seal the front to reduce the water intake.

tosakilla
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tosakilla » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:32 am

I just trim the legs so it's easier to walk, and I also leave the tag end of my braid longer than usual, pinch it between my nails and then light the end on fire. it makes it wider at the end which stops the line from slipping through the knot on big hook sets.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:10 am

Crankbaitmaker wrote:What are the things that I can do to a frog to get it ready to fish?

Thanks,
Crankbaitmaker
Make sure he is wearing protective clothing. When frogs are out of the water they are very vulnerable to sun damage. Also, give him Shimano products to use, so he has less issues with his equipment. Lastly, done let him fish with a frog, that would just be wrong. LOL

tH3_Guy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tH3_Guy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:50 am

Crankbaitmaker wrote:Do you guys seal them in any way to keep the water out?

Crankbaitmaker

Buy snag proof it comes with ITT (inner tube technology) so it does not sink most of the time. Only time ive had it sink was when bass took it under water but did not get that hook set. Plus its an awesome frog

especially ish phat frog!

q1w2e3_89
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by q1w2e3_89 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:59 pm

http://blog.wired2fish.com/blog/bid/790 ... odied-Frog

This might be an interesting read. I'm curious to know if anyone has modified their frogs to make them more finesse tackle friendly. With several 1/4 oz frogs on the market now, I'd like to use them on lighter tackle in more open areas, but setting the hook on standard hollow bodied frogs require heavier tackle.