Speed Clips

Is there any other species?
Senko28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Speed Clips

Post by Senko28 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:17 pm

I had read many articles suggesting removing the split rings on most crank baits like LV500, Rattle Traps, Square Bill, DT'S etc and top water lures like Spooks, Repo Man etc and use a speed clip for the easy of switching out baits and not retying, will this change the action of the lure :roll:

frogman1963
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Speed Clips

Post by frogman1963 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:42 am

I've use them for all my crankbait fishing and have had very good luck with them. I really havent noticed any difference in action.

caltrey
Angler
Angler

Post by caltrey » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:14 pm

I have used many different types of snaps/clips for many years and found the decoy egg snaps to be the best. They have excellent strength for the size of the clip.

If you are refering to speed clips such as the Bill Norman speed clips i have had bad experiences. Lost a number of lures. The clips start of being really good and then over a short amount of time the 'eye' opens up allowing the crankbait etc to slip off. I tossed them after that, wasnt worth losing lures/fish over.

Xrapman2002
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Xrapman2002 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:53 am

Have used the clips for a couple of years and found them to work well. Quick and easy to change crankbaits actually so easy that I didn't retie as often as needed and learned the hard way. That would be my only caution with clips ....... it's easy to forget retying

panda_slicks86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by panda_slicks86 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:51 pm

i like the owner welded snaps if you never have tried them you should try them out ...... but always try a lure out all three ways directly tied, snap / split ring , snap / no split ring .... just cause i have noticed certain baits / techniques act different each way
and i don't like them for bottom techniques like jigs and shaky heads either just don't seem to have the same feel ....

never had a problem with the owners and i really like the shape seems to really help out 6-10 foot with the action compared to a str8 tie to split ring..... and you wont fling your 15$ crank into the air while getting a real nice rats nest that ruins your day .............. thanks most every quick disconnect on the market!

tight lines!

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:24 am

panda_slicks86 wrote:i like the owner welded snaps if you never have tried them you should try them out ...... but always try a lure out all three ways directly tied, snap / split ring , snap / no split ring .... just cause i have noticed certain baits / techniques act different each way
and i don't like them for bottom techniques like jigs and shaky heads either just don't seem to have the same feel ....

never had a problem with the owners and i really like the shape seems to really help out 6-10 foot with the action compared to a str8 tie to split ring..... and you wont fling your 15$ crank into the air while getting a real nice rats nest that ruins your day .............. thanks most every quick disconnect on the market!

tight lines!
I use the same clips and am very happy with them. Does anyone use a clip on a jig. Never done that but have seen it, i think you loose way to much feel on bottom contatct baits.

panda_slicks86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by panda_slicks86 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:38 pm

i some times do use a clip if its already on the line but i think with a jig or shaky head is that they are easy to lose by nature and you always get your line worn from bottom contact so i retie often so no need to use a clip and risk more loss.... but i would never use them on a shaky better on a jig i think

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:52 pm

angry john wrote:
panda_slicks86 wrote:i like the owner welded snaps if you never have tried them you should try them out ...... but always try a lure out all three ways directly tied, snap / split ring , snap / no split ring .... just cause i have noticed certain baits / techniques act different each way

tight lines!
I use the same clips and am very happy with them. Does anyone use a clip on a jig. Never done that but have seen it, i think you loose way to much feel on bottom contatct baits.
I use them on everything. You really don't lose feel...the metal does a good job of transmitting vibration. You can pick up more algae/weeds.

mikezho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikezho » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:54 pm

I also use split ring as much as possible. I don't notice any difference.
Actually split ring might make some lure perform better.

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:46 am

Never tried speed clips. After watching a buddy lose a few baits throughout the course of a season, I vowed just to spend the extra 30 seconds to tie a knot to the split ring.

What I have done in the past is use the LuckyCraft oval split rings, which allows the line to sit no where near the 'sharp' edges where the split ring opens on regular circular split rings.

panda_slicks86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by panda_slicks86 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:38 pm

i think you can get a better knot using a speed clip just my thoughts as far as losing lures with a speed clip ... get a better clip was your buddy using owners welded those are the shizznitts i have always broke my line never just brought back the clip no lure or hook

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:18 pm

panda_slicks86 wrote:i think you can get a better knot using a speed clip just my thoughts as far as losing lures with a speed clip ...
How so?

q1w2e3_89
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by q1w2e3_89 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:35 pm

I use clips for everything. Unfortunately some designs do not work with thick worm hooks. If you're experiencing breakage due to clips breaking, it simply means you're not using the right size. For example, using 50# braid with a 30# clip will guarantee the clip opens before the line snaps. That doesn't mean that direct knots are better.

panda_slicks86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by panda_slicks86 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:40 pm

tie a knot around a 1/4 inch bar and then tie the same knot on a 1 inch bar and see witch one pulls out easier its always the larger diameter item the owner welded speed clips are about half smaller than an eye on a hook or a split ring making the knot better ....
hey im no scientist but i works for me. i think it just allows the line to cinch down tighter and has less chance to slip out.

or maby papa likes to smoke an' drink who knows?

Centipede
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Centipede » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:34 am

I've used the Norman speed clips for 10+ year and I have never lost a bait due to them.