Black topwaters?

Is there any other species?
BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Black topwaters?

Post by BucketHunter » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:08 pm

DarkShadow wrote:
panda_slicks86 wrote:just remember fishing lures are designed first and foremost to catch a fisherman its second job is hopefully catch fish and as far as color go's i pretty much just stick to certain 4-5 colors at most, for everything... plastics / cranks / topwater ect....... action trumps color 90% of the time on most waters. just my opinion tho.... guess i dont want to be stuck with bait colors that dont produce.
Very insightful.

In gin clear water like I'm used to fishing, a black topwater bait during the day would produce a very awkward silhouette, IMHO.
There is an idea out there that a black topwater actually produces a smaller, tighter silhouette, or maybe more accurately a true outline of the size of the bait. Supposedly useful for smallies that may be a little bit size shy from time to time. It gives them a comfortable read on the size of the bait, and if it's the right size they are more willing to inspect it rather than just shy away from the vague commotion that lighter topwaters can make. I don't know if its true at all...

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:48 pm

was it not baitfish silver? @ the lucky craft bait?

DE_Bass_Enthusiast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DE_Bass_Enthusiast » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:12 pm

Personally I have only had great success with black topwaters AT night. I have thrown black frogs and buzzbaits during the day but I find best results with either a natural color (bullfrog/watermelon red) or white.

jbassc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbassc » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:22 pm

I love my black spook when i fish at night.

Nrowden27
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Nrowden27 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:34 am

I use black buzzbaits, black whopper ploppers, and black zoom horny toads. Black is the go to on cloudy days.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:19 pm

Black always works - sunny, cloudy, night.
This is my first go to color when I picking a new topwater lure.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:51 am

I spend way too much time night fishing (according to my wife only)!. I always have a black buzzbait handy. I've painted just about every hard topwater bait that doesn't already come in black. I frequently throw black on cloudy days also. I keep a bottle of black nail polish in the boat for emergencies, or if I feel like hitting a goth club after the lake.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:09 pm

My dad always taught me to buy either solid white or solid black topwaters. He doesn't fish all the time, but said that is all they used in south Arkansas and did fine. A black popper has been his standard bait since I can ever remember. Neither of us fish topwater much though, but I have had luck a few times with the Black Dog Strike King Sexy Dawg Jr. Also like the River2Sea Rover in their black pattern too...

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:50 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:My dad always taught me to buy either solid white or solid black topwaters. He doesn't fish all the time, but said that is all they used in south Arkansas and did fine. A black popper has been his standard bait since I can ever remember. Neither of us fish topwater much though, but I have had luck a few times with the Black Dog Strike King Sexy Dawg Jr. Also like the River2Sea Rover in their black pattern too...
I also like black and white top waters.
But, on gin clear lakes, I also like a transparent lure with just hints of baitfish colors, so the bass don't get a really good look at the bait, but know something interesting is up there.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:19 pm

When I was a kid, a gr8 fisherman (We'll call him my fishing guru) once offered me any jitterbug in his tackle box...Since they were all black, I chose a black one. :big grin:
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed May 16, 2018 8:11 pm

All my topwaters in all types are either black or white. Black when its overcast or low light and white when the suns out or when they aren't hitting black when its overcast.

Reservoir
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reservoir » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:15 pm

I use black top water for both day and night