What should I get

Is there any other species?
zmanlane
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

What should I get

Post by zmanlane » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Hey guys I am new to tackle tour and wanted some of your opinions. I fish junior angler tourneys as I am only 14 but I am looking for some new set-ups. I recently sold 10 of my setups setups and some other possessions in order to get this money. I am looking for about 5 or 6 set-upsat least and i want them to cover just about everything. I have 2000 dollars to spend. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to get.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What should I get

Post by facelessnewsouth » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:20 pm

2 grand for five setups that cover just about everything....you have a lot of possibilities my young friend. Just beware the darkside of TT or you'll be spending that much on 1 setup [-X

There are several options out there that are good. If you can find some 200E and 50 E curado's on clearance go for one of each. They are nice, and the three will cover a broad range of applications. That's about 450 bucks right there.

Also, keep an eye on the reels and rods forum in the tackle section and the for sale/wanted forum. You may not be able to respond on the boards, but you can PM if you're interested in something, and the reels/rods forums will let you know what everyone else is liking.

Tino
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Tino » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:13 pm

14 with 2k that's pretty good my friend --- Good Job my men. =D> that's awesome.

I want to ask you a few questions before I can recommend you something -
Where do you fish ? Clear water or dirty water ? Average size of fish ? You prefer longer rods or shorter
rods ? Braid or flouro ?

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:37 pm

I would take the advice of the above and grab some of the 200E and 51E on clearance, pop some Boca Orange Seals in there and you'll have yourself one heck of a casting machine for less than $170 per reel..if you need a spinning reel, the Stradic should fit the bill (either new gen or the FI if you can find it at a really good price)

as for rods, I would look at the new Compre and Crucials that Shimano came out with this year, fits your bill, and probably great bang for the buck

now if you have a technique that you really like, maybe you can invest a bit more into the rod for that particular purpose..

zmanlane
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zmanlane » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:45 am

Tino wrote:14 with 2k that's pretty good my friend --- Good Job my men. =D> that's awesome.

I want to ask you a few questions before I can recommend you something -
Where do you fish ? Clear water or dirty water ? Average size of fish ? You prefer longer rods or shorter
rods ? Braid or flouro ?
I have worked all summer to get that mney, lol. I fish florida, so you know okechobee, lake ida, and fl lakes. Water is dirty mostly...average size is probably a lb but i have caught a 12 lbers before in the glades. I like long rods but nothing over 7'6....as for line, depends...flippin/friggin is braid while cranks is mono. I was thinking about dobyns champion series for the rods.

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:02 am

$2000 / 5 = $400 a setup! That's allot for any age. I personally would go for the new crucial or villian rods ($150-$180) and a Revo Premier or STX. I have 2-3 of each and they perfrom great for the $. I prefer my Premier to any sub $400 shimano or daiwa reel.
Let's go fishing!!!

vszero
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by vszero » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:09 am

i suggest you get avid spinning and vertias or villian casting with revo stx or sx or for casting and exceler for spinning
both would cost less than 400 and more money for you to buy other sutffs
females are more confusing than bass fishing

webertime
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by webertime » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:08 am

If it were me... and I am assuming you are a righty...
Go to American Legacy Fishing Co and sign up for their newsletter and get the $25 off code. Then order two 200E7's, one 200E5, one 50E and one Stradic 3000 (it's a 2500 with a larger spool). That after the coupon is $620.

Go to Tacklewarehouse and look at the Cumara and new Compres and Crucials
7'4" H Crucial $250
7'6" MH Compre Cranking $110
6'10" MH XF Crucial $160
7'2" M Cumara $220
7''2" M (or MH) Crucial Drop Shot $160
This is $900 and you have Shimano's bulletproof warranty, I was 14 once, I broke things by accident.

So you'd be at $1520 with $500 to spend on bearings, line, entry fees?, saved for emergency (broken/lost rods).

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:11 pm

Lots of choices! If it was me, these would be my setups:

Lami Excel XL705Glass ($110) with a Zillion CC ($280) - don't go cheap on a cranking reel ;)
3 Daiwa Ballistic Rods (~$110) with 3 Revo STX ($170)
Whatever spinning combo you decide...about $200 is enough

So, 5 combos at about $1500. It leaves a lot of room for excellent lures, especially hardbaits.

Good luck and post your new arsenal in show and tell!

andrey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by andrey » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:39 pm

you have a lot of options and you will get alot of advice but if it was me in your position this is what i would get.
gloomis nrx893+ shimano core50mg for lighter baits. with some searching online this would cost around 675( 900 retail)
gloomis nrx873+shimano curado50E for heavier bottom contact baits 500 (700 retail)
shimano cumara cucx72mh +curado 50E for medium baits. 300 for this combo (retail 400 plus)
shimano cumara cuc70h + curado E5 for medium to deep cranks. 300 for this combo(retail 400+)
shimano crucial crc66mh + shimano citica 200e for your shorter rod. 200 (retail 280)
all these prices i mentioned are pretty solid, you hardly ever have to pay retail with all the clearances going on. anyways, that would be how i would spend that 2 grand.

zmanlane
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zmanlane » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:46 pm

andrey wrote:you have a lot of options and you will get alot of advice but if it was me in your position this is what i would get.
gloomis nrx893+ shimano core50mg for lighter baits. with some searching online this would cost around 675( 900 retail)
gloomis nrx873+shimano curado50E for heavier bottom contact baits 500 (700 retail)
shimano cumara cucx72mh +curado 50E for medium baits. 300 for this combo (retail 400 plus)
shimano cumara cuc70h + curado E5 for medium to deep cranks. 300 for this combo(retail 400+)
shimano crucial crc66mh + shimano citica 200e for your shorter rod. 200 (retail 280)
all these prices i mentioned are pretty solid, you hardly ever have to pay retail with all the clearances going on. anyways, that would be how i would spend that 2 grand.
thanks for the suggestions. Im just taking my time as i will have these set-ups for years.

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:23 am

Lots of really well thought out suggestions here so far. =D>
You definitely came to the right place to ask..
I'd offer my input, but most of the bases have already been covered.
my advice is to take your time, do some research and shop around.
And let us know what you've picked so far!
Good luck. :D

Dale Meddock
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dale Meddock » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:01 pm

All great ideas and choices.

Just remember whatever you buy. Make sure you can fish when you get on the water, no matter what the bite is.
Cover these techniques and you will be stup up.

Crankbait Rod, can be used for,
Chatterbaits, Swim Jigs, Light weight Jigs even Spinnerbaits.

Flippin Stick, 7' 6" or 8' Good Backbone with light Tip, can be used for Swimbaits, Heavy Jigs, Punching Mats

Drop Shot Rod, Shakey Jig, Darter Jigs

Spinnerbait Rod

Frog Rod
Maddoglures

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:45 am

Dale Meddock wrote:All great ideas and choices.

Just remember whatever you buy. Make sure you can fish when you get on the water, no matter what the bite is.
Cover these techniques and you will be stup up.

Crankbait Rod, can be used for,
Chatterbaits, Swim Jigs, Light weight Jigs even Spinnerbaits.

Flippin Stick, 7' 6" or 8' Good Backbone with light Tip, can be used for Swimbaits, Heavy Jigs, Punching Mats

Drop Shot Rod, Shakey Jig, Darter Jigs

Spinnerbait Rod

Frog Rod
x2 on that.

id def. save some cash for top of the line lures...after all its the lure that catches the fish not the rod or reel. :big grin:
stress-what happens between fishing trips

GrantG
Angler
Angler

Post by GrantG » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:12 am

I fish the same type of water as you and highly recommend that you pick up a daiwa zillion 7'4" XH swimbait rod for your arsenal. This rod rarely gets used for swimbaits for me other than mission fish, but its a great frog rod and very capable punch rod as well. I fish lakes with heavy grass mats and this rod is a mainstay for me. Its got tons of backbone for pulling toads out of the heavy grass and can be had for $150 to $180 if you look around. I have a zillion high speed on mine and really like it. Shop around and get the best price you can on each piece to get the most out of your money. Good luck man.

Grant