Technique

Is there any other species?
Shimano-Or-Nothing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Technique

Post by Shimano-Or-Nothing » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:56 am

DarkShadow wrote:The dreaded drop shot.

I single handedly thank this technique for limiting my success for years. When you're putting in 20 fish in the boat, that are all under 2 pounds, it may seem like fun....

But when you start flinging out other baits, and you're putting 15 fish in the boat, and they average 4 pounds a piece, you start to wonder why on earth you bought a spinning rod in the first place.

YES, i know that the drop shot has it's place and time, and YES, toads may come from it if using the proper bait, but I think it's the number one technique that paints people in a corner, just because it is so effective.
I hear ya. For 2 years straight the only thing I used were finesse techniques and only caught 2 fish that were 5lbs+. Hell, I wouldn't even pick up my casting reels.

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:48 pm

Shimano-Or-Nothing wrote:
DarkShadow wrote:The dreaded drop shot.

I single handedly thank this technique for limiting my success for years. When you're putting in 20 fish in the boat, that are all under 2 pounds, it may seem like fun....

But when you start flinging out other baits, and you're putting 15 fish in the boat, and they average 4 pounds a piece, you start to wonder why on earth you bought a spinning rod in the first place.

YES, i know that the drop shot has it's place and time, and YES, toads may come from it if using the proper bait, but I think it's the number one technique that paints people in a corner, just because it is so effective.
I hear ya. For 2 years straight the only thing I used were finesse techniques and only caught 2 fish that were 5lbs+. Hell, I wouldn't even pick up my casting reels.
Fishing in Southern California, I was engrained with the "Finesse" game as the only method that would catch fish. I would go through the sections at local tackle stores, scoffing at the jigs, the big worms, and the blades, considering them baits that you could never catch fish with in these pressured, and clear waters.

For YEARS, I'd sit there and shake a stupid 3" worm, getting 12 to 15 inch bass to go. I'd be thrilled! I continued to grow more and more reliant on my 4# test and flimsy fairy wand, as more small fish were landed. I'd occasionally land a 3#+, but that was rare.

A few years ago, I realized that while finesse fishing is something that every bass angler should know how to do, there were more traditional "power fishing" methods that would be AS successful as finesse fishing, but would yield bigger fish, and sometimes, i'd catch the same amount as if i were throwing the light stuff.

Again, I understand there is a time and place for it, but needless to say, it'll be the LAST rig i pick up. Ten years ago, it'd be the first.

bhyatt6
Angler
Angler

Post by bhyatt6 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:04 am

my number 1 lure that is always tied on is a senko... it's a great bait to catch quality and quantity... wacky rig it, texas rig it, skip it under docks, fish it around cover, cast it a country mile and twitch it back on big grssy flats... this bait is a work horse and you should always be fishing it.... On a decent tournament day i can limit out with 5 average fish in an hour tops with a senko. i'm going to take a stab in the dark and say it's the best lure out there??

zachman587
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zachman587 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:30 pm

I have to agree. Use whatever you can get your limit with in the shortest amount of time and then work on catching the lunkers

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:10 pm

I second the dropshot. Catches fish like mad, but still hate pulling it out.

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:15 am

slipperybob wrote:I don't enjoy fishing with plastics. I mostly enjoy fishing with hard baits.
I'm with him. The only soft baits I have are trailers for my jigs. Otherwise, trying out swimbaits this year and those are the only actual soft baits I'm going to use. Bought a bunch of Demiki Hydra's and creature baits and they are still new and unused ](*,) I may try out Senko's but highly doubt it. I'm moving all the time and probably not patient enough to wait for the wacky rig to drop down to suspending bass.....
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:37 pm

use the 6 or 7 inch Senko.

I forget his name but he is on youtube, its this little dude that drop shots 3" senkos and seems to catch nothing but lunkers.
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

mheber
Angler
Angler

Post by mheber » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:55 pm

for me its the drop shot also. These rigs are effective but so boring. As for the senkos i really only use them to do one of two things. First i use them as a follow up bait for any cranks, topwater or spinnerbait that im fishing. The other thing i use them for is to cast to isolated shallow water cover ie... a lone stump or tree. These are the only way i can catch big fish with these senkos. Oh and i also only use the 7 inch model. Its go big or go home for me

mrbassky1
Angler
Angler

Post by mrbassky1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:47 am

Senkos are great fish catchers no question but many times there are more productive baits. When fish are concentrated shallow its very productive, but when fish can be caught on other baits you better off putting the senko down. If you look at past tournament results you see the window for winning a tournament on senkos is small. With the exception of texas rigging, drop shotting ect where a senko is an option same as other soft plastics. Usually right around the spawn is prime time. For bed fishing when you cant see the beds there may not be a better bait. The other time a senko shines is for skipping. You can skip a senko and it has a slow sink which is great for shallow water. The only time I have won money on senkos is skipping them around the spawn. I also had a great trip at a Natural Lake in New York on senkos skipping them around docks. The upside is the senko is a bait you can ALLWAYS go out and catch a few bass on. They may be small but it will produce something. The downside is once you get away from the spawn you may be better with baits that cover more water. Even a tex rig worm is faster than a senko. I know guys who have caught quality bass in the summer on points but that doesn't mean it was the best choice at that time. Thats just my opinion.

Mossy Oak
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mossy Oak » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:04 pm

I also hate pulling out a senko, I've caught my PB on one but I hate using them.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:11 pm

i really don't care what the technique is, if i am catchin' i'm happy.

:lol:

tehtuna
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tehtuna » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:47 am

e_bassfisher wrote:i really don't care what the technique is, if i am catchin' i'm happy.

:lol:
I'm with this guy. To me it's time on the water that I enjoy. Catching fish makes it that much better.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:24 pm

I like the lowly split shot. I use a bullet shaped crimp w8 1/16 - 1/8 oz. about 6 - 12 inches above a Zoom Finesse Worm on a 1/0 thin wire EWG. I like it best on the Daiko Burroughs BRSC-64L with the Conquest 50S and 15/4 PowerPro.

D.R. also got me hooked on Spro Frogs (the Jr. version) too, so it's not always finesse.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

georgeweeber
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by georgeweeber » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:16 am

I like any bait I can catch fish on. As for the senko that is what I caught my personal best on, an 11.3. So I am kind of partial to them.