Strange catches...

Is there any other species?
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Strange catches...

Post by dragon1 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:22 pm

Had a decent day today with five fish on a post cold-front, bluebird skies and winds up to 25mph.

Anyway, caught one bass with a off-set worm hook through the area just above her anal fin...however, the eye of the hook was still coming out of her anus. Anyway, cut the barb and she was good to go.

My largest fish of the day hit a mat fire tiger Peanut and was just over 23 1/2"....very long fish with a big head and fought admirably. Only problem is that she barely marked 3lbs. To say that this fish was mal nurished would be an understatement...she was down to the bones with her eyes receding into its sockets and her scales looked pale and whitish in some spots, esp on her back and around her head. My guess is that she was one her last days and may not even live out this winter.

Anyway, curious.

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Strange catches...

Post by vArm » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:51 am

Not a catch but a near catch.

It was a perfect glass day and I was watching my spinnerbait on its way back to the boat. All of a sudden a HUGE black and white striped fish comes at it moving CRAZY fast and hits it but doesn't hook up. I slowed down my reel hoping to catch whatever it was. The fish took 2 more super fast strikes at it, all from the side, but still doesn't hook up. The Spinner is about 10 feet from the boat so I let it free fall hoping the fish will chase it. There's a splash about 7 feet to the right of my boat.........I find myself staring eye to eye with black and white striped Loon........

Funny thing is It was a slow morning and I was disappointed that I didn't catch it. :?

senkoman85
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by senkoman85 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:42 am

I guess my wierdest catch was this bruiser. Was flippin' the pads at a lake with a 1/2 ounce Black/Blue Terminator Pro Series Jig with a Zoom Super Chunk trailer. Felt the pickup, set the hook and he just started slowly swimming off. Thought I had the beast of the lake!! Needless to say, he kept the jig....I couldn't get it out there without losing a few fingers.
Attachments
random fishing 07 028edit1.JPG
random fishing 07 028edit1.JPG (59.72 KiB) Viewed 7717 times

bab33face
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bab33face » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:18 am

senkoman85 wrote:I guess my wierdest catch was this bruiser. Was flippin' the pads at a lake with a 1/2 ounce Black/Blue Terminator Pro Series Jig with a Zoom Super Chunk trailer. Felt the pickup, set the hook and he just started slowly swimming off. Thought I had the beast of the lake!! Needless to say, he kept the jig....I couldn't get it out there without losing a few fingers.
You should have done the reverse srg grip on that for davej's challenge!!!

I'd be scared to unhook that thing

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:24 pm

bab33face wrote:
senkoman85 wrote:I guess my wierdest catch was this bruiser. Was flippin' the pads at a lake with a 1/2 ounce Black/Blue Terminator Pro Series Jig with a Zoom Super Chunk trailer. Felt the pickup, set the hook and he just started slowly swimming off. Thought I had the beast of the lake!! Needless to say, he kept the jig....I couldn't get it out there without losing a few fingers.

warning: The SRG is very species specific..

DanD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DanD » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:10 pm

Was fishing for bass Friday using a 3/8 oz jig & pig when I got a nice tap set the hook and thought i had a good one. Got it up to the boat and it ws about a 5 lb bullhead! Haven't caught a bullhead since I was a little kid soaking worms with bobbers. Great fight tho Dan

arbogastjunkie
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by arbogastjunkie » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:33 pm

davej wrote:
bab33face wrote:

warning: The SRG is very species specific..
LMFAO =)))) =))))

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:02 pm

Damned...I wish you woulda caught that Loon too!! Then you'll wish that your rod is a standard top guide wrap and not spiral when that things takes off!

HAHAHAHA...thanx for the laugh, that was a funny story. :lol:

BTW, I too have hooked a large common snapper on liver while catfishing, not a fun sight, esp at night when you slip a net under it and then have to figure out how to get it back out!

BTW Dan, a guy I fish with every now and then landed a 15lb 15oz (Boga Grip scale) Channel Cat on a hula grub/jighead combo a couple of Sundays ago...needless to say, he thought he had the World Record too...and in Colorado to boot! :P