Can't catch a fish on a jig.. ahhhh

Is there any other species?
progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Can't catch a fish on a jig.. ahhhh

Post by progressive816 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:27 pm

I can't seem to catch a LMB on a jig regardless of how I fish the darn thing. It seems as though I lose my patience or lose the jig and switch off to another lure.

I've read and watched videos on this technique, but it's not happening.

My question is how do you fish it effectively? And what tackle setup and brand, size, and color jig do you prefer when employing this technique?

Much advise is appreciated. This is my second year bass fishing.

Progressive
Pb-LMB 6lb7oz

senkoman85
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Can't catch a fish on a jig.. ahhhh

Post by senkoman85 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:22 pm

Prog,
It took me a while to catch my first one on a jig, and now it's a much used technique in the summer for me.

I flip heavy cover, mainly pads and grass.

Tackle:
7'6"H Telescopic BPS Extreme Flippin Stick
Shimano Curado 201B
50# Power Pro

My most productive jig has been the Terminator Pro Series in 1/2 ounce size in Black/Blue color with a Zoom Super Chunk behind it. I will flip to pads and work it into any possible crevice/hole I can find. Make sure the bait is on the BOTTOM, NOT hung up on a pad stem.

At times I will just put the bait in there, wait a few seconds and take it out to find the next hole. This is when fish are in an aggresive feeding mood and take the bait ON THE FALL. It's a great way to cover water if the fish cooperate.

Other times, and most often, I will flip the jig into a hole, allow it to sit for a few seconds and give it a short hop. Again, I'll let it sit and then shake the bait for a few seconds. The Terminator jigs have 2 rattles on them that produce a clicking sound underwater.

Bites can do plenty of things....my favorite jig bite is similar to casting a jig on the back of a passing speeding train, it almost rips the rod out of your hand. It can also feel like a normal "pick-up" and sometimes, all you see is the line moving away from you.

The best way to learn is to bring just your flippin' stick down to the water with you. If you think it's a fish, SET THE HOOK. Learn to worry about the different feel of fish versus pad stems later.

Hope this helps, good luck to you!

DanD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DanD » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:58 am

Jig fishing is my favorite technique. For shallow water, Senkoman has it nailed.

I too like to use black/blue jigs with Zoom salty chunk or big salty chunk trailers in either black or black/blue. I have a ton of jigs in different colors but have found black and blue in 1/4 to 3/8 oz works best for me. I like a MH rod around 7 ft with a TDZ or ito 103 as my favorite reel. I like 12-14 lb mono or 14 lb PP braid.

I tend to fish deep weedlines in 14-20 feet in clear natural lakes. I do more pitch type casts, stripping line off the reel so the jig falls straight down. Watch your line as often times they'll hit it on the fall or right after it hits bottom-you'll see your line jump a little. I like to let it sit 10-15 seconds, than slowly lift the rod tip to move it, more of a drag, stop. Some times they'll thump it, other times it'll feel mushy, in either case I set the hook hard as soon as I feel anything. There's nothing like that thump when jig fishing. Keep at it, it'll pay off for you. Dan

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:36 am

have taught a lotta younger kids around here how to fish a jig by trying to keep it basic and simple...1/8 oz. black/blue bitsy bug with a zoom super chunk jr...8# fluoro mounted on sjr type spinning rod and just start beating the banks.

the object here is to take the mystique of fishing jigs outta fishing jigs...as well as, just getting bit...the lighter fluoro and finesse rig seems to help most beginners develop that feel (or nonfeel) of a jigbite.

once you learn that feel, you can expand on some of the excellent advice posted above.

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:01 am

I saw a show where the host said he fishes jigs as reaction baits. He pitches it, he lets it sink but doesn't necessarily let it touch bottom. He swims it back in up and down motion over and around underwater structures.

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:20 am

that's the beauty. You can do just about anything you want with it. If the fish are nearby you'll get bit! That's whay I like to use a jig a lot. It doesn't have to be always the same type of cover or the same depth. The same jig catches bass eveywhere!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:49 pm

Black and blue bitsy bugs with Zoom Chunk Jr will eventually get you bit. Esp. now that the water is cooling off. Just keep throwing it around cover and you will eventually get bit.

progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by progressive816 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:32 pm

cool. I'l keep trying.
Pb-LMB 6lb7oz

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:15 am

I also had no luck with Jigs at all until this year when I got my 1st boat with a fishfinder on it(not a very good one). Now its one of my go to baits.

I look for Isolated rocks and rock piles, preferably with some weeds near or around it. I've had the most success bouncing and twitching them irregularly and not far off the bottom for catching LM. I do the same for SM but have found swimming them pretty quickly works really well.

JIG
Size: All
Color: Black, Black&Blue, Dark Brown.
Trailer: Gary Yamamoto Fat Baby Craw. GreenPumpkin/BlackFlake

TACKLE
Shimano Curado 200
Airrus Puls'R PUL731MH-S
10-12lb. Uzuri hybrid fluorocarbon (I'll prob switch to braid next year)

progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by progressive816 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:32 pm

How fast are you working the jig? It usually takes me 2 seconds to cover 1ft of water. Too slow?
Pb-LMB 6lb7oz

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:40 pm

To fast for me.
I like to feel everything down there, I use alot of small single hops with quick twitching. Every once and awhile a 1 foot jump.
If that doesn't work quicken the hops and swim when halfway to to boat trying to coax a SM possibly following to bite it.
I like to be able to feel the weight of the bait as much of possible and feel the difference between what the rocks and weeds feel like compared to the dull weight or tap of the fish.

gundog
Angler
Angler

Post by gundog » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:20 am

I fish jigs all the time and considerate a go to bait for me. Start off with a 3/16 finesse jig cut the weed gaurd off even with the hook trim the skirt a little and throw a crayfish trailer on there. use a 6'6" to 7' spinning set up. most bites will ether feel like a worn take or just a light tick mostly on the fall. SET the hook on anything that feels different hooksets are free. also use 10# mono or braid. Once you get some fish you can move up to casting eqp and larger jigs. I hope this helps

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:30 pm

Great question. In terms of technique everyone has got it pretty much covered here, but my favorite jigs are Gann's jigs (http://www.tackletour.com/previewgannsp ... ackle.html) with a Power Team Lures Craw D'oeuvre trailer in black and blue swirl.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

stykbowslim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stykbowslim » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:09 am

zodiak311 wrote:Great question. In terms of technique everyone has got it pretty much covered here, but my favorite jigs are Gann's jigs (http://www.tackletour.com/previewgannsp ... ackle.html) with a Power Team Lures Craw D'oeuvre trailer in black and blue swirl.

I have never used a Gann's jig, however I second the vote for the Power Team Lures Craw D'oeuvre... also try the PTL Texas Rig Jig... great lures.

reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reddragon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:20 pm

just keep casting it sooner or later you're going to land right on top of one and its gonna suck that jig up quick just be ready to set the hook :)