Stupid is as stupid does

Is there any other species?
SmokeyJ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Stupid is as stupid does

Post by SmokeyJ » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:21 pm

Well, I got an abject lesson today in why you need different rigs for different lures.

I was fishing at a public pond that is about a five minute walk from my house. I had been there since about 6:30pm throwing a split-shot rig with only a couple of bites, no fish. It was starting to get dark, so I reached in my bag and pulled out my brand-spanking new black 1/4 ounce Jitterbug that I bought after reading these forums. The darker it got, the more interest I was getting in it, but still no solid hits.

Well, the darker it got the worse the mosquitos were biting me, so I was about to pack it in when I decided to throw one more cast and retrieve through a spot where I had a couple of strikes previously. Well, I get about ten feet from shore when there was a HUGE explosion on my lure and my line went completely slack. I dropped my rod tip, reeled some and set...nothing.

So I start reeling and feel something feathering my leg. Sure enough, that sucker had hit my lure so hard he had snapped my lure off pretty much instantaneously. Oh well, at least Jitterbugs aren't too expensive.

So what did I learn? Even though my el cheapo medium spinning combo is the only thing I have right now (I just recently started fishing), that with 8lb test probably isn't going to be enough to fish topwaters unless I like losing them.

Hopefully by next season I'll have at least two more nicer setups to let me fish some heavier stuff, but right now I have to make do. Man, I wish I could have seen that fish. He annihilated that Jitterbug.

kingsriverrat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Stupid is as stupid does

Post by kingsriverrat » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:14 pm

I have to say, Smoke, I'm a bit sceptical that the bass broke your 8lb test. What kind of knot/split ring did you use? :confused:

I humbly append this query with the acknowledgement that, yes, I myself have lost lures, and fish, to lack of knot strength. #-o

SmokeyJ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SmokeyJ » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:56 am

Well, it may very well have been the knot, but I try to take my time when I tie them to avoid overlaps and such. I used a San Diego Jam with seven loops total, moistened before I tightened down, etc. Heck, it probably was the knot, but even so, I guess that teaches me another lesson about tying knots correctly. Maybe I shouldn't have used that knot for that lure, I don't know.

padavid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by padavid » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:18 am

I second the opinion that it broke your 8lb test line unless there was a weak spot or kink in the line.

You have to remember that a fish in the water (even a giant fish) is buoyant, this means that you are not getting the dry weight of the fish. It is possible (and often done) to catch giant fish on very light tackle. You rod absorbs much of the power of the fish and a proper drag setting will stop your line from breaking.

Ever fish in a boat? If you have, and snagged something, it is possible to move a heavy boat towards the snag becuase the boat is buoyant. Can you line lift the boat - no way, but you can move a boat with your rod and reel!

Keep in mind that heavier line will effect lure action and casting distance.

Lots of guys will use heavier line while bass fishing not becuase they are concerned about the bass breaking them off but in order to rip the ;lure through weeds and brush. Additionally, Tx anglers want to boat the fish as quickly as possible so they will use heavy line to horse the fish right in.

With the proper rod flex and drag settings it is almost impossible to break all but the weakest line - you should not be able to break 8lb test unless you are using a very heavy rod.

SmokeyJ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SmokeyJ » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:51 am

Well, given the responses I will respectfully concede that it was my knot that caused me to lose the fish, not the line. For the future, do I need to install a split ring and tie onto it with an arbogast jitterbug, or should I use a snap or snap-swivel? And what would be a good knot to use for this? I was using a San Diego jam knot (learned it by a different name) tied directly to the stock attachment point with the lure (no split ring). Any help would be appreciated because I plan on getting another one and exacting some revenge on that fish.

kingsriverrat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kingsriverrat » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:25 pm

I don't normally use a snap or a ring with a Jitterbug, but that doesn't mean you can't.

Personally, as far as the knot, there's lots of good choices, but I usually use the ol' "improved clinch knot" without thinking, and out of pure habit, on a bait like the JB.

-hope you nail it again.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:27 pm

Two things...

You don't set with TWs...just reel in the line until heavy and sweeeeep...that is more than good enough, will not snap line, will not having you ducking from lure flying back at your head and will not have you cursing for missing hookset on a fish...esp a probable TOAD.

If you want more strength and still have castibility and suppleness, braid is wonderful on a spinner...it will allow you some more flexibility on plastics as well while cutting down on line twist.

Otherwise...WE TOLD YA SO!!! ;)

SmokeyJ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SmokeyJ » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:09 am

Good to know about setting the hook, thanks. I had thought about braid, but I'm not sure if my guides would handle it. I'm using an inexpensive combo I got from Gander Mtn. I just started fishing again this spring, so its all I have. I'm hoping by next spring to have a couple more rigs for some more versatility, but right now I just have to make do with what I have.

quickF4i
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by quickF4i » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:04 am

most any rod that has at least alum oxide guides will handle braid nowadays.. esp for your application. i would only be reluctant to use braid if the cheapo rod you are using has those crimped metal guides..

also, its possible your j-bug got struck by a pickerel or some other toothy variant in that pond? those things will explode on topwater as well and even slice thru braid #20 #30 like its nothing. happens to me a lot.

padavid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by padavid » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:59 pm

quickF4i - that is an great point - might have been a pickerel or pike (or even a huge Muskie, 49" long and full of anger)

SmokeyJ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SmokeyJ » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:19 pm

I am not going to rule out that possibility, but this is a very small pond, and I have never heard of anyone taking anything like that out. From what I have been able to find out from other people who fish there is that there are some catfish, some coy, and some crappie in addition to the requisote LMB and bluegills. However its been pretty well unanimous that no one has seen a crappie pulled from the pond outside of spring. Who knows, maybe there is something toothy lurking in the depths, but no one I have met who fishes there has seen it.

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:54 am

Like dragon1 said its not a good idea to set the hook on a topwater bite. Let the Fish take it for half a second then load it up. Don't rip it to hard.

And stick to mono on a spinning reel for topwaters, the extra stretch helps the action. Braids to stiff for topwater IMHO.

I use #8 Uzuri Hybrid on a BC for my topwaters tied with a palomar knot. The line has to be super wet and tied very slowly with that knot on Floro because it heats the line up a ton and can cause brakes.

padavid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by padavid » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:40 am

Yep - floro does heat up pretty easy, tie slow and spit on the knot!

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:02 pm

I put the whole knot in my mouth when I tie it.