rough conditions

Is there any other species?
IRAX
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

rough conditions

Post by IRAX » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:12 am

need advice gentlemen > there is a pond near my house that i frequent and i have no problems pulling quality bass during spring fall and even winter but during the dog days of summer the only thing i am catching is a sun burn :roll: the water is heavily fished and is shallow 10 ft in the deeper areas the bottom is sand/mud with weedy patches in certain areas there is also areas that are choked with hydrilla. i have tried everything i can muster but to no avail the temp is high 90's to mid 100's today it was 103*f by noon the fish seem to be feeding high in the water coloumn breaking water frequently i believe they are feeding on dragonflys but top waters are not producing any advice on a new tactic would be awesome thanks - isaac

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: rough conditions

Post by Fbass » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:20 am

Go at night and throw a loud topwater like a buzzbait or a jitterbug. That should help avoid the pressure and save your skin from sun burn!

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:30 am

I'd say to go out to the pond in the very early morning hours when it's just getting to where you can see where you're casting...and bring 1) a small spinnerbait, 2) a small, small zara spook(zara puppy), 3) a small lipless crank, and 4) a small buzzbait. Throw these around any and everything you think the bass would hold around. This will also keep you from getting that sun burn.. :lol:

And if all of those fail to produce, try a 4-5" senko style bait in black/blue or wat/red wacky rigged around the same areas..

Justin

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:18 am

and if all that still doesn't work go fish some place else!!! 8-)

nfocus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nfocus » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:51 am

I hand pour a dragonfly bait that, while it can be a pain to fish at times, works when other baits simply don't. I could send you a few if you PM your address.

-D

Charlie Tuna
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Charlie Tuna » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:56 am

I would try a topwater at night. Some of my best fish have been in the heat of the summer about 2am.

ct

boige11
Angler
Angler

Post by boige11 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:18 pm

A topwater at night is good advice for your situation..my favorite topwater bait is the Deps Buzzjet jr. it makes fish go crazy if you are willing to spend a little money i can guarantee you will catch fish :D

Bass Asassin
Angler
Angler

Post by Bass Asassin » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:57 pm

Try a jitter bug at night or some soft bait in the morning.
(6-13-05)6 Pound 3 Ounce LargeMouth Bass Caught In Lake St.Clair, Michigan
(9-03-06)32 Pound 8 Ounce Chinook Salmon Caught In Lake Huron, Michigan