Fishing Buddies

Is there any other species?
sdesign
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Fishing Buddies

Post by sdesign » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:31 am

I have a longtime bass fishing buddy, Byron. We used to venture out on several trips a year back before my 7 year hiatus from the hobby and back when the weenie craze was hot and heavy here in Northern California. While i was away from the sport, Byron continued to sharpen and hone his skills in many of the South Bay Reservoirs you hear JR, Capt1Fish, JIP, Zander, among others talk about.

This past Saturday, we got to renew our friendship with some time on the water. I'd missed fishing with Byron as we'd always have an excellent time whether we hooked into fish or not. In getting ready for this trip, Byron shared with me an interesting revelation. Despite his years and years of dedication to Bass fishing, he'd never caught anything on his baitcasting gear. He was an avid spinning rig fisherman - not that there's anything wrong with that - but he was anxious to get back on the water with me so I could provide some tuteledge on casting.

Realizing this, and knowing we'd be fishing the California Delta, I told Byron not to even bring his spinning outfits. I was going to break him of his crutch on this trip and that if he was going to catch anything this trip, he was going to do so with his baitcasting gear. He responded on with the statement - "Yeah, it's the IF part that has me worried!!"

Well, if you read my fishing report from yesterday, you know what a long day it was for us out on the water. It was a blast sharing the time, but the fish were not all that cooperative. Despite the difficulty, however, Byron DID catch his first ever bass on baitcasting equipment and here it is.

Even with the trick of holding the fish closer to the camera, it still looks like a dink... lol ... but we were all very proud of this moment. Hopefully it's the first of many more and larger bass to come!

JapanReels
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Fishing Buddies

Post by JapanReels » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:12 am

Good to hear you got someone else stuck on the darkside. He will get started shortly.. TRUST ME!! :twisted:

sdesign
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by sdesign » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:17 am

Oh, I offered to let him try my TD-Z Type R+, but he was smarter than that and declined. He knew if he tried it, he was going to like it, and then he was going to have to have one, so he resisted... for now :)

JapanReels
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JapanReels » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:20 am

it's only a matter of time. I never even tried it and got one. :twisted:

sdesign
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by sdesign » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:25 am

JR, jedi mind trick - 'tis most effective among the weak minded and tackle inflicted... :wink: LOL

JapanReels
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JapanReels » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:33 am

I just hope your buddy has the $$$ and a very very understanding GF or wife. He better start coming up with good excuses for her when getting his gear. I know I did. I was actually impressed with what kind of answers I was coming up with when she asked the famous question " Why do you need all this gear "

sdesign
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by sdesign » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:17 pm

No worries JR - he already HAS the gear.. he just needed some practice with it to gain the confidence to be able and use it instead of totally relying upon his spinning gear... that was the entire point.

JapanReels
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JapanReels » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:17 pm

You definately have to practice with baitcasting.

Rebbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rebbasser » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:25 pm

jedi mind trick - 'tis most effective among the weak minded and tackle inflicted...
FINALLY!!!!!! A PLAUSIBLE EXPLANATION!

I always wondered why I can't pass a place that sells tackle without stopping and I always end up buying something. Now I know :wink: :lol:!

JapanReels
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JapanReels » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:14 pm

NOW YOU KNOW!!! :twisted:

ChuyDawg
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChuyDawg » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:11 am

Even though...
Look at the smile on your face in that Picture...
That tells the whole story...
Remember "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!!!"

sdesign
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by sdesign » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:23 am

ChuyDawg wrote:Even though...
Look at the smile on your face in that Picture...
That tells the whole story...
Remember "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!!!"
CD,

Yah.. that was my buddy in the pict, not me and it WAS at the beginning of the day... nevertheless, we were still smiling at the end of the day. It's great to renew friendships on and off the water. We had a good day even if it was tough fishing :D

SD