Frog Fishing

Is there any other species?
JapanReels
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Frog Fishing

Post by JapanReels » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:51 am

Color, size, technique used. I'd like to see how other anglers are using these lures.

I have found that walking dog technique used with 2-4 sec pauses have been successful for me. Junebug is my color preference. I have been using the 1/2 ounce frogs with great success.

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Frog Fishing

Post by Lightninrod » Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:12 pm

FROGS! Have I got a http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfrogmnw.shtm FROG for you! I know you didn't ask for my favorite frog but the 'other'(Snagpruff, Scum, etc) ones are the worst baits for their strike-to-hook ratio. That's why those P/M's are the only ones I use. They are also the most realistic I've seen.

I chunk one near cover, let it float for several seconds, 'pop' it, pause, jerk-jerk, repeat.................

Dan
Last edited by Lightninrod on Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:07 pm

LR, I am not a huge frog fan (unless it's live frogs), around here I have a lot of sucess with the Mann's Goblin Image and the Spittin Shad Image

Both have worked well. Especially on Tobesofkee.

One of these days we should hook up.
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:00 pm

kb/JR: That ZOOM Horny Toad is tearin' 'em up down in Florida and around Georgia. I just got 2 packs in 'green' and hope to try them for the first time tomorrow. The 'hot' technique is to rig them with a 4/0 EWG hook(I use GYCB's Sugoi) and a 1/16th oz. Florida screw-in weight. Throw it as far(they are 'heavy'/dense) you can and BUZZ it back. Those two Vibra Tails churn the water even more than their 'cousin', the Speed Worm.

kb: I agree, we should "hook up" but I'm not much for 'big water' Bassin'. Any thoughts?

Dan

JapanReels
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JapanReels » Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:18 pm

very interesting. I might give them a shot. You are definately right about the hookup ratio. Once you do get them hooked you do have to bring them in fast and not give any slack or off they go.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:01 pm

Dan, I like the Horny Toad also. I have a fair ammount of luck with them. I do not use weight with them. They are heavy enough to throw without weight. I use a 5/0 Diiachi or Gamakatsu hook with them. They skip very well under overhanging brush and trees. I have also stuck some bass using them as a trailer on a jig.

As far as big water, I am happy on ponds, rivers and lakes. As long as I can fish, I am good to go. Sometimes I go and fish the night tournament at Tobesofkee. Thats a pretty small lake. But I am good anywhere. I am fishing Blackshear next Saturday so, I am going to some effort into that and pre-fish. I am on leave all week this coming week if you want to try and get togeather one morning. I am open to fishing ponds.
Last edited by kbookert on Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:04 pm

Oh and Dan, did you have some of these or did you take my recommendation from my Horny Toad thread?

http://www.dealtackler.com/T3Forum/view ... horny+toad

dinengurth
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dinengurth » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:05 pm

Hey, KBT, does it move more water than the speed craw on top, or is it just easier to use topwater?

take it easy

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:03 am

DG, both actually. Kinds of reminds me of a "soft" buzzbait.

sdesign
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by sdesign » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:24 pm

KBT, didn't realize you had an earlier post on this lure. Wish I had seen it because I'd have been turned onto it sooner!

I've been throwing the "standard" frogs both on overgrown matts (we call them "cheese" out here) and in open water over submerged weedbeds. I haven't had much success and attribute it to now really knowing how to work the bait - yet. However, I've also heard the mumblings about how easy it is for fish to throw these baits and I've come across words of advice as to how to modify the bait to lessen this occurence.

Yesterday, I threw the horny toad for the first time. I rigged it weightless with a 3/0 EWG Gamaktatsu hook on my Kistler He76HC rod, Conquest 51 reel spooled with 20# braided Tuff-Line. On my first cast, I swam the bait back on top of the water and saw the tails flutter just like a buzz bait. On my second cast, I let it sink a little and twitched it - it danced side to side like a spook but at about an inch or two under the surface. On another cast, I retrieved it for a while, then just stopped, and it sank slowly.

Wow, I love the action of this thing!

I missed one fish early on because I set hook before making sure the fish had it down in its mouth. We didn't get into another "froggy" area until later in the day when I finally hooked into my first official "frog" fish - a 2lber - that slammed it as I swam it across the surface over scattered patches of weed. What great fun!

As a side note in reference to the aggressiveness of bass - I had a lot of chasers that were literally the same size as the bait itself. On one occasion, I saw a bass, about the same length as the bait itself attach the bait from 4 feet away! It flew out of the weeds and slammed right into the side of the bait with all its fury - oh, if that were only a 10 pounder!

I intend on giving this bait more of a workout next week quite possibly as my only topwater bait for the day.

JapanReels
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JapanReels » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:38 pm

nothing like watching the :shock: fish explode on your bait.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:27 pm

SD, don't forget, try it as a jig trailer also.

I have also used them on a buzzbait. Hooked a trailer hook on and stuck it on the buzzbait. Didnt get anything like that, but it looked cool as hell and made a buch of noise.

sdesign
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by sdesign » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:33 pm

Thanks KBT, I might try that next time out with some of the "expired" frogs... :)

ezcue
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ezcue » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:08 am

I have searched for these things most of the morning. While I have found them at Tacklewarehouse and Eangler, they are out of stock on the colors I am after. Also, I did not see them at Basspro or Cabelas. Any of you "tackle junkies" have a online company that you prefer ( that has them in stock). :lol: Thanks in advance for any help. 8) Oh yeah, I am looking for watermelon red and green pumpkin.

dinengurth
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dinengurth » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:19 am

Mabye give http://www.landbigfish.com a look. I'm not sure, but they might have them. Try http://www.lurenet.com also. I can't speak for the service of either company b/c I've not bought from them. I've only browsed their stores a few times. I'm sure some other users have other online stores they suggest.

take it easy