Largest bass you've weighed in? How did you catch it?

Is there any other species?
capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Largest bass you've weighed in? How did you catch it?

Post by capt1fish » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:56 am

My personal biggest weighed in was 10.02 lbs caught flippin' a black and blue jig. I caught it the spring of 03.

This past spring I weighed in a 9.03lb during the FLW Everstart Series on the Delta. I also caught that one flipping, but on a Reaction Innovations Sweet Beaver.

During the spring sight fishing tournaments on Clear Lake, 10lbers don't raise and eyebrow. It's just unbelievable when you see nothing but 6-8lbers in people's bags and its just another 20lb bag....

sdesign
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Largest bass you've weighed in? How did you catch it?

Post by sdesign » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:26 am

Well, I'm not a tournament guy, but my personal best black bass was 11 pounds something. I was out fishing in San Pablo Damn Reservoir (before the 2 stroke restriction) by myself splitshotting a 4" green weanie on 6lb test and a 5' fenwick ultralight rod.

I cast out to shore and was looking the other way into my tackle box thinking about changing lures when I felt a hit. I turned around and saw my line moving from the shore, out into the middle of the channel I was fishing. I set hook and the fish started taking off. It moved me all around the boat and at one point, went straight down and just sat there. All i could do was keep the pressure on and wait for it.

It eventually came to the surface and I was shocked. It actually had the head and body of a fish maybe 8lbs, but was so bloated either from eating or eggs, that it weighed in high. I didn't even have a cooler or anything with me to keep it in while I motored over to the marina to weigh it. I used a sponge and squeezed water on her laying on the deck of my boat as I made my way over to the marina.

I have the polaroid shot with my #2 gamakatsu light wire worm hook taped to it somewhere in the house. If I ever find it again, I'll scan it and post the picture. It was an odd looking bass.

My proudest moment of that entire experience though, was bringing her back down to the marina and reviving her so I could set her free.

:D

Flippin Pigs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Flippin Pigs » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:57 pm

I think it was a 6.25,,,,i wish we had bass over 10lbs here. The Canadian record is just over 10lbs i believe.

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:04 pm

FP-you need to work you way to California! I'll take a 6lber anyday!

Shimanoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimanoman » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:15 am

The largest I've ever weighed in at a Tournament was a Smallie- 4lb8oz --not nearly as big as some of the pigs you guys have weighed in. Regards Shimanoman

ezcue
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ezcue » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:15 am

My biggest ever was a 7lb. bucket mouth caught in a farm pond at dusk on a redhead white body Tiny Torpedo. Not a huge fish but man what a rush, I'll never forget it. The Tiny Torpedo is still my goto topwater bait. :lol: