Never used any, never will
1%

Total votes: 91

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Scents...

Post by bitesize » Fri May 09, 2003 11:43 pm

Do they work? Do you use them? What brand?
For what type of fishing?

albackore
Angler
Angler

Re: Scents...

Post by albackore » Sat May 10, 2003 11:26 pm

I've used quite a few scents. Hot Sauce seems to work the best the last few seasons. I'm going to try the "Gravy" this year...

hooked
Angler
Angler

Post by hooked » Wed May 14, 2003 6:15 pm

I think they work. I use them for trout fishing. Kickntrout seems to work the best for me, crave gravy works pretty good as well.

phishman
Angler
Angler

Post by phishman » Tue May 20, 2003 3:33 pm

I have been using Berkley's Trout Attractor. It has been really producing. I have fished side by side with other anglers, using the same rig, same bait same leader length. (you get the picture) But when I have used the "goo" I have consistently outfished my buds.

danbass
Angler
Angler

Post by danbass » Fri May 30, 2003 3:07 pm

We use licorice, garlic, and shad scents for Bass and Walleye. Bill Dance sponors some good scents.

:lol: Walmart, Bass Pro, Cabelos, and my local merchants will carry the scents. Try them, what you use may be just that something different that catches the fish.

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:41 pm

I use berkely powerbait scent and top secret amino bait powder. I think that scent has an effect on your presentation but should not always be used. They should be approached like rattles in soft plastics, use only when fish need that extra little kick!

dazzle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dazzle » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:19 pm

quantum angler nt, which Top Secret do you use and do
you actually see any improvements when the times are slow?

--Daz

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:55 pm

Hey Dazzle, I use Top Secret Bass predatory scent. I truly believe it has an effect on your presentation when fishing is tough. During the winter,
when I buy my stuff in bulk, I think I am going to buy three or four jars of this stuff. If you haven't given it a try buy some! It can be hard to find at local retailers but I know cabelas carries it.

Aerotus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aerotus » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:31 pm

So really, how good are the taste and smell sensors on
bass, trout, and others, not counting catfish and carp?
Do most people use scent to mask out other non-natural
scents or it actually makes the fish strike more?

Reaction Baits
Angler
Angler

Post by Reaction Baits » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:25 am

Hey Everyone - If I may drop my two cents worth regarding attractants?
Fish have an amazing scent sensory, they can differentiant 2 parts per billion(on average). This is why Salmon can forage out in the ocean for years and then find their way back to the very stream they hatched from. Sharks are as low as one part per billion.
Landlocked fish are no different, they home in on wounded prey or concealed meals using all of their senses together.
With that being said, after spending over 15 years in the fishing tackle industry, there is no doubt in my mind that scents are here to stay. I use the scent on everything, most importantly my hands before I even touch my gear(you never know what may repel your targeted species).
But they do differ, the majority of the scents on todays market have a anise base. This is a common scent but does not last too long.
Then there is Smelly Jelly, this product has an amino acid base, and lasts an incredibly long time on you bait. I was fishing my first bass tournament and the partner I drew was out fishing me 4 to one. I changed my rigging to match his but the only difference was he has crawfish smelly jelly. After that day I went out and bought some for the second day. I ended finishing third, that $5.00 purchase earned me $325.00. Pretty solid investment!
They come in all sorts of flavours/sizes, a 1 oz. Jar concentrate, 4 oz. Guide size concentrate and 4 oz. Bottle liquid. I recommend the concentrate because it lasts a long time. I have been using the attractant for 11 years and I have started selling it 5 years ago. Whether you saltwater, lake or river, this stuff smells nasty and works unbelievable. You sturgeon and bass guys don't know what your missing.
You can check it out on my site http://www.reactionbaits.com in the attractant section.
I hope this helps and answers some questions..

Terry Skipper

Aerotus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aerotus » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:39 pm

Maybe adding scent just adds to one's confidence level.
Thinking that if you apply some, you'll definitely hook some fish.
Well, no matter what, I think if people have a negative thought
about scents already, then apply some won't make any difference.
Unless you can really show them that it works much better.

Reaction Baits
Angler
Angler

Post by Reaction Baits » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:10 pm

That is definitely a fair statement. Confidence is definitely a huge part of the game. We have, however, done extensive tests using specific situations. For example: We have had two identical sturgeon rods, rigged with the same leader, leader length and hook - the only difference was the use of Smelly Jelly vs Other attractants. Not only did the Smelly Jelly out perform the other attractants but the fish were consistantly larger. This if fishing out of a boat in the same hole. Just an example of many similiar tests in all sorts of different situations.
The argument of adding strictly confidence would be true if it weren't 2003 - 20 years even 10 years ago, documented catch ratios like the one I just stated would have been dismissed very quickly. However, in today's tackle world, science plays an integral part of success. We now have more information available to us to make our search for fish more successful - it is the 20% of anglers who are very successful because they retain that information and recognize when to use it. The remaining 80% tend to use a hit and miss tactic - which does work.
When I am invited to do seminars, one of the first questions I ask is who has caught fish against the grain. I am a full believer that there are no rules and not one way to catch fish - this is what keeps many of us addicted to the sport and open to new tactics or techniques.
Like I said this does not mean you are wrong and I am right, I am just trying to get across that fishing has come a long way from gut feelings.
There are many studies available through the majority of Universities across the country on the effects of stimulant and attractants.
You hit the nail on the head when you said some people have preconceived thoughts when it comes to innovation - hey face it I think we have all been there one way or another.
Anyways, the information is available for those who would like to explore it further.

Cheer, Terry

praznik
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by praznik » Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:17 pm

i think it covers up the human smell .i like yum i seem to get a lot of hits on it .
praznik

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:53 pm

I definately agree with Aerotus. Its how you look at it, you have to have a positive look at it, putting scents to your bait n jigs does just that.

I tried that on one trip, 2 test cases(3-4 hours). Scent, uncented, results were both test cases produced great catch, seems to me NO DIFFERENCE between the two.

Try FWD-40

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gyro » Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:07 pm

Anything is better than having human scent on your lures depending on how long the attractant stays on your lure.