Braided Line

Is there any other species?
AddictedFisherman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Braided Line

Post by AddictedFisherman » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:14 pm

Oopss...my bad though you were talking about use in freshwater. I have never fish saltwater so I wouldn't know, thanx for info Jinz!

yamawhat
Angler
Angler

Post by yamawhat » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:19 pm

i have been using stren super braid i like it so far it is roundand coated with something.

Worm'n
Angler
Angler

Post by Worm'n » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:39 am

Ok guys made up my mind and going to try flurocarbon,not that theres anything wrong with braided just wanna try things one step at a time.My gear isn't all that new(quantum reels E-7,tour 300 and fenwick,diawa rods)and I don't have the funds to start replacing tackle if I mess up.Thxs again for all the help.

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:30 am

Worm'n wrote:Ok guys made up my mind and going to try flurocarbon,not that theres anything wrong with braided just wanna try things one step at a time.My gear isn't all that new(quantum reels E-7,tour 300 and fenwick,diawa rods)and I don't have the funds to start replacing tackle if I mess up.Thxs again for all the help.
I think in the long run, f/c can save you $$$(less changes necessary--but do do it when necessary) and maybe, save the Bass of a lifetime :shock: !

Don't forget this:

To save money, start filling your reel's spool with a cheap mono up to 1/2 the spool's amount. Then tie(or tape) your f/c to the mono and fill to 1/8th" of the spool's edge. You should have more than enough f/c on now as most Bass will never pull more than a few(?) yards of line off during the fight to get her in the boat

Dan

JJ
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by JJ » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:30 am

Hi Guys,

In Australia all Bass Tournament anglers use braid only and use Mono or Fluorocarbon as a leader.

Do you guys that use braid, use a leader?

Jason.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:41 am

I only use braided line. Very rarely will I use a leader. Most of the water here in Georgia is stained.

KBookerT

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:54 am

Yes, I use fluoro as a leader, since the area where I fish at has a rocky bottom which can easily cut my pp line. If I'm using tuf line i wouldn't use any leader.

sdesign
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by sdesign » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:01 pm

I've been experimenting with braided lines this year and here's my brief take:

Berkeley Fireline : they don't market this as a true braid. So far, this is my favorite.. it casts very well, though it does have a coating on it that makes the line feel somewhat stiff initially. I've heard some complain that when the coating gets worn, the line looks frayed ... i've not yet experienced this problem.

PowerPro : I'm not so big a fan of this line yet. I have some mileage to put this line through, but my initial annoyance with it is the coating the put on the line. It flakes off very easily and in fact, turned my thumb green after several casts. If the stuff is going to come off this easily and if most people say it fishes great after the coating comes off... then why bother with it in the first place?

Stren Superbraid : this line is super soft and nimble - in fact, so much so, that it's difficult to tie a lure if you're on a rocky boat and the wind is blowing. I use a polamor knot 99.9% of the time, and I've found it very frustrating tying this line in non-ideal conditions. Otherwise, once the lure is tied on, it performs pretty well.

Also... I've used the following flourocarbon and copolymer lines:

P-Line Flourcarbon: I like this line a lot except for the fact it is a little wiry. The strength is great but I did experience one unexplained "snap" of the line while clearing a backlash. Not sure what caused it and I haven't experienced it since, but it has me questioning the durability of the line.

Yozuri Hybrid : this is my current favorite non-braided line. I've heard others complain about abrasion resistance, but I've not experienced this yet. Most of what I is weedy waters with little wood or rock to rub a line against, so I think I'm ok for now. I've broken hooks on the 10# test of this line trying to pull a snag out... not something I'd expect from this kind of line... the hooks were Owner brand, so not exactly something of poor quality either.

McCoy Mean Green: I tried this line on the suggestion of a fellow addict who claimed it had better abrasion resistance than Yozuri. I'm not sure if I bought the right stuff because the spool I have, after putting it on a reel and trying to fish it, feels a lot more like mono than a copolymer. It had incredible stretch to it and I've come to find, after fishing all of the above lines, that I do not like this quality whatsoever... strange.

so anyway... those are my takes.

And before you say anything Lightinrod, don't worry, I'll try the Seagar FC soon enough... LOL

:twisted:

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:09 pm

:lol: I was just getting ready to pull the trigger :wink: when I scrolled a little further down. :lol:

Dan

sdesign
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by sdesign » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:18 pm

heh heh heh... gotcha :twisted:

lol